Chapter 3: Not Only Are We Outcasts, We're Utterly Insane

"Madison, I can help you-"

"No one wants to help! You all just want to hide in your little illusions, and put down everyone who thinks differently! I've seen it time and time again, but no one cares!"

"Look, if you just tell me what's going on-"

"SHUT UP!" She hoisted the crossbow to her chin and aligned its sights with her eye. Her finger laid right at the trigger. One movement and Artyom's gone.

A tidal wave of energy swept through Tommy. What was it? Fear? Dread?

No, he couldn't feel any of those things. But it was the tug of life and death. The moment that decided eternity in the unknown, or a few more years on the surface.

It didn't frighten him. It was quite thrilling. But he had to snap out of it. With a crossbow pointed at his temple, the worst thing he could do was add fuel to the fire just for kicks. He slowly turned and nodded at the board.

"You're not insane. You see something I don't, right?" He peeked back at Madison. She kept quiet through her heavy breathing. "That's why you're scared. You're afraid people will turn on you because they won't understand. They'll think you're their enemy..." He put down his arms and looked solemnly at his client. "But I don't see you as my enemy. And I don't want to be your enemy. So let's talk."

Heart beating slammed against her chest and rang in her ears, feeling like it counted for each second. All she needed to do was press the trigger, and all this would be gone. No one would know. She wouldn't have to worry about trusting someone who could later turn on her. The world drowned out. All she could hear was the beating of her heart.

The bones in her index finger began tugging back...

No.

"...Sorry..." Her breath released as she dropped the crossbow. She didn't even know she was holding her breath.

"It's okay. You made the right choice. I'm proud of you."

The thrill began dissipating, leaving him alone in his rather apathetic state of mind. Now it was time for some more fieldwork.

"So, I think the best way to go about this situation is to clarify what this board is all about. It is, after all, the source of your hostile reaction."

Madison let out a deep groan. She didn't know what she expected, but she still didn't want to come to this. "Yeah, I'd thought you'd want to know after the whole crossbow sha-bang."

"Plus your whole behavior within the past few years. Now I see that King Thorn is in the center of this whole... piece. Why is he so significant to you?"

"King thorn," She could hardly lock her gaze with his. After all this time, saying this felt... wrong. "King Thorn's a... liar. He's a fraud, and no one knows it." Her fists clenched and lifted her chin, feeling some strength in saying it aloud.

Artyom didn't flinch a bit at the statement. To Madison's surprise, or to her expectation, he seemed quite apathetic about it.

Did he pledge allegiance to King Thorn? Was he also a secret rebel? Or did he just not care?

"Hmm." He nodded. "And why do you think that way?"

He was annoyingly nonchalant about it, exactly like he was about even the most bizarre statements spouted out by mentally ill patients. "Is this just another therapy sesh to you?"

"It doesn't have to be if you don't want it to. Let me try again," He cleared his throat, "DID YOU REALLY SAY THAT AGAINST OUR MAJESTY KING THORN?!"

"OKAY, OKAY, FINE!" She regretted wanting anything more. "Fine, we'll do this the usual way. Let me... explain." Madison passed him and approached the wall. Everything she had on King Thorn so far was on the board. She knew she had a solid case. At least for now.