18

The Runaway
Chapter
18

season 1
episode 5
Part 1

♡︎

     It was dark. Everything around her.

Her eyes blink rapidly, trying to adjust and make out something, anything, in the vast darkness.

Then suddenly, a dim light shines over the area. Her head turns, taking in her surroundings now, only to wish the light had never come.

     There were bodies, all around her.

     All lying on medical cots. It took her a moment to realize where she was exactly. It was one of the medical centers she worked at during the war. She glanced down and noticed she was in her nurses uniform too. As she took in more of her surroundings, she realized the bodies lying there weren't the bodies of injured soldiers, no.

     Her head starts to shake as her breath quickens. The lifeless eyes of the bodies stare up at her. The bodies of her family.

     She see's her mother first in one cot, then her father in another, and her brother, then her best friend. Till all the beds are filled, the faces changing rapidly. She quickly turns, tripping over her feet as she moves to leave the room. But as she goes, her eyes can't help but catch on each face lying on the beds, breath now coming out in short pants as she looks at each one horrified.

     Suddenly it's not just the dead she see's, it's the living too.

     First Celeste, then Scarlett holding onto a lifeless JP. She moves faster now, losing her breath as she rushes towards the door, trying to block out their faces. The dead look in their eyes as they stare lifelessly at her.

     But it's never ending. The door seems to be farther and farther away and the dead bodies of her loved ones keep growing. She clenches her eyes shut to block them out. She had to get out of there.

     "Look at them." A voice says, cutting through the silence. Her eyes snap open in shock and terror as she slows to an abrupt stop.

     That voice. No, it can't be.

     She glances around again anxiously, searching till her eyes catch again on one of the beds. This time it was a lifeless Ada holding her newborn baby boy in her arms. She turns away but catches sight of new bodies on the rest of the beds. She breaks into a run but her eyes can't help but catch on the beds as she passes, seeing a new face on each.

     Polly, Arthur, John and his children. Her breath comes out in breathless pants. This can't be happening.

     As she runs by, she stops short at one of the last remaining beds. Her breath catching in her throat as she takes in the body lying there, staring brokenly in shock.