2

The Runaway
Chapter
2

"Girl on the Run, Part 2"

♡︎

     The pair walked into the pub named 'The Garrison' a name she vaguely recognized from her fathers stories as one of the many pubs he used to drink in. Charlotte got more than a few random looks, all of which she chose to ignore on top of everything else. She stayed close to Freddie as they went to the bar. He motioned for the bartender to get them a drink while Charlotte observed the rest of the pub, taking in the layout and drunk patrons.

     "Ello 'Harry, hows business?" Freddie asked the bartender once he reached them.

     "Business is alright Freddie, who's this lass with you?" Harry smiled at her from over the bar, shocked from seeing such a pretty face.

     Freddie turned towards the strange but intriguing girl as she answered, "my name is Charlotte Moore, please call me Charlie, it's lovely to meet you Harry." As she, once again, stuck her hand out for him to shake.

     Harry looked shocked just like Freddie did earlier. What is with men in Birmingham looking at her strangely when she goes to shake their hand? Her father had taught her that you can tell a lot about a person, man or woman, by their handshake. It was a show of character.

     Harry returned the handshake, albeit confused but polite nonetheless. "Lovely to meet you as well Charlie, what brings you here?" He asked.

     "Charlie here is our dear Davis' girls family from over the water." Freddie had answered before she could.

     "Is that right?" Harry answered with a smile, "nice girls and lad they are, I knew your voice sounded different, you've got an accent! How are you related?"

     Charlotte was slightly amused at how many people had pointed that out now. Her American accent had been pointed out in Liverpool getting off the ship, while purchasing a train ticket to Birmingham, and a few more times since she left the station. Charlotte knew it wouldn't always be a fascinating subject, some would hate the fact that she was American since America was so split off from the war till its final year.

     "Yes I came from America to visit, change of scenery if you will. Celeste is my fathers sister." She said with a small smile.

     Freddie and Harry chuckled together, "a change of scenery in Small Heath? I think you chose the wrong vacation destination, love." Freddie said to her.

     "Yes perhaps you're right, but I'll just have to stick around and see won't I?" Charlotte gave him another small smile, both males shook their heads in amusement and slight disbelief.

     "Harry get me a mild and my new friend Charlie here.." Freddie trailed off looking at her not knowing what she would like.

     Charlotte leaned against the bar and ordered a whiskey and a glass of water. She pulled out some shillings from her purse that she had exchanged with her American money while in Liverpool. Harry and Freddie once again looked at her strangely but she shrugged it off as Harry went to pour their drinks, Freddie just nodded to her in thanks.