Chapter 16: Room for Four

It had been a week since Kabir was handed over to his parents and the family loved it. Although they would really get emotional seeing Ayesha trapped in the glass case, they consoled each other by telling about her little movements.

Kabir too spent most of his time sleeping but they were able to reach little milestones with him. The family visited AvNeil in the hospital outside of visiting hours too and would play with the little one.

Kabir had grown increasingly comfortable in Prakash's, Shweta's and Neela's lap and would sleep in their arms firmly that even Neil's forceful pulls couldn't bring him away. "Avi yaar bulao na isey!" He fussed, when they both sat on the bed, looking in disbelief at the grandparents' party.

"Mr. And Mrs. Khanna?" The nurse gathered their attention as she stepped into the room, Dr. Dipika behind her. Avni almost jumped out of bed when she saw a baby in Dipika's arms, sleeping very peacefully.

"Is that-" Avni began but her words died when Dipika nodded with a huge smile. Neil made Avni sit and walked towards Dipika with shaking legs and tears in his eyes. Finally, finally, both of his children were with them now and no impenetrable barrier was there to stop him from hugging them.

Neil felt himself evaporate as soon as Ayesha was in his arms. She was small, very small. Her nose was pink like the tips of her tiny finger and Neil almost got reminded of Avni. "She's doing much better now. More inactive than Kabir and needs your warmth much. You three can be discharged tomorrow." Dipika said, patting Avni's hand and left the family.

Neil kissed Ayesha's tiny hand and felt tears rolling down his cheeks as he handed her to Avni whose condition was no different. "Hey baby..." She whispered as softly as she could and held her baby girl close to her chest.

Ayesha indeed did breathe faster than Kabir and looked scared even in her sleep. "Mommy is here I'm never gonna leave you alone again." She whispered again and peppered Ayesha's tiny face with feathery kisses.

"Ayeshu tell your Mumma to stay away from you. Only your Papa is allowed to be with you." Neil whispered right into his girl's little ear, making her shift a bit away from Avni and face Neil instead.

He laughed and clapped in glee like a baby himself, rocking Ayesha in his arms when she woke up due to the noise and began wailing. As if on cue, Kabir, fast asleep in Shweta's lap, began crying too and calmed only when he was put in Avni's hands and he was able to fist her cheeks with his small hands.

"It's us against your Dad and sister, Kabira." Avni said victoriously, narrowing her eyes at Neil who reciprocated the same expression while hugging Ayeshu. "Tears in my eyes I am finally able to witness what I always wanted. A baby boy like my grumpy daughter and a cute girl like my son in law." Neela said dramatically, wiping her fake tears.

"Thank you." Neil appreciated, nodding proudly at Neela. "Did you just insult me?" Avni asked, holding Kabir in his place as he moved too much. "It's your strength." Neela replied bracingly. "Being grumpy?" She asked again, trying to feed Kabir as Prakash decided to go out to give her some privacy.

"I meant a go getter." Neela corrected herself before her daughter could blast her. "Kabira you're taking football lessons from a coach. Then we'll set him up with your Nani and then gossip about her with him." Avni instructed and watched as Neil scowled.

"If the coach is Neela Ma's age, he might as well hit on you too. No risks. Kabira I'll train you for football." Neil said suddenly, wrapping his free arm around Avni. "Ayeshu." Avni said, pouting cutely. "Haan baba lo." He surrendered and placed Ayesha on his wife's chest. He watched as his babies got fed to their fill and did totally different activities afterwards.