Chapter 2 : The First Day

"What next?"

Neela asked, sipping the wine she had to buy because her daughter demanded so. Both of them were sitting at the edge of the pool, their legs dipped in the cold water and a bottle of beer in their hands.

"What do you mean what next?" Avni asked, although she knew perfectly well what her mother meant. "The Khanna's." Neela added, staring at Avni. The latter didn't say anything but kept on looking at the calm waters. Neela did notice Avni's eyes get moist.

"They don't talk to Neil either, you know. It's been 6 months and he's a stranger in his own home." Neela explained, placing her hand on Avni's shoulder. Avni scoffed and said, "you seem to pity him."

"I'm just saying it's not easy to live among people who don't support you. Maybe try discovering why he did whatever he did." Neela spoke in a tone carefully chosen so that Avni didn't suspect her.

"I don't care about the reason. My trust broke. If he would have iterated it to me that there was a reason that he had to necessarily arrest me, I would have gone happily." Avni asserted, a tear now evidently visible on her cheek.

"Try talking to him—"
"I'm not, okay?" Avni replied firmly. Neela took the hint and dropped the matter.

"Your other two supplies are kept on the dining table. I think you will now be willing to change back into your normal clothes?" Neela spoke, unable to keep herself quiet. Avni was her best friend and her daughter. She loved talking to her.

Avni nodded and got out of the pool with Neela's support. They first went to her room where Neela helped Avni slip into a night shirt. Avni then fisted her yellow jail uniform and threw it into the fireplace outside.

"I really think this is a faux fireplace. It's Mumbai." Neela commented, totally not serious. "I do see an air vent." Avni spoke, peeping inside. Neela spilled the oil on the clothes and Avni lazily dropped the lighter's flame onto it.

They watched the clothes burn and put off the fire once it started to smell bad. Then contented over what they had just done, the mother daughter duo went to sleep, hoping for a good new day.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"This looks okay for an interrogator." Neela commented, when Avni was ready to go to work. Neela had protested and insisted that she should be resting but Avni didn't want to and that was it. Avni was currently wearing a half sleeve white shirt and formal culottes, so that her fractured arm does not have to bear much brunt of styling.

"Okay. I'll leave then." Avni said, smiling gently. As soon as she stepped out of her room, she bumped into Neil who held her at once. "Careful." He whispered and questioned through his concern filled eyes if she was okay.

"What are you doing here?" Avni asked, releasing herself from his grip. "I called DD to pick you up. I'm not letting you go alone in that condition." Neela answered on Neil's behalf.

"But why is he here?" Avni asked angrily. "Neil sir and I go together always bhabhi." DD replied, looking as if he was about to cry. He hated seeing his almost elder brother and bhabhi so distant. They were like a support and comfort to him together but with them separated, it felt like he was asking two strangers to be his guiding light.

Avni momentarily looked at Neil with the intention of looking away almost instantly but she couldn't do that. Once she stared right into his eyes, Neil knew how to latch her onto him. Avni felt her throat go dry at how helpless he looked at that moment. He was almost dying from the realisation that he was not allowed to touch her, console her, talk to her or be in her life anymore for that matter.

"Let's go." Avni almost whispered, forcefully diverting her eyes from him. DD nodded and led Avni to his car; Neil chose to stay back for a moment or two. "Did I lose her Ma?" He asked Neela, not facing her. "No. Please trust me when I say this you still matter to her." Neela said confidently.

"She misses you. She won't admit it because she's hurt. She wants you to make the effort and win her back. She wants to be able to complain to you about what hurt her. She'll only do that if you try enough as well. But eventually, she will come back to you. You're her home Neil."  Neela said politely and wiped Neil's tears that were threatening to fall.

"I know it hurts to see her cold eyes. But they'll house love for you once more beta. Please don't give up on her like that." Neela almost begged, her lips wobbling. "I won't...I won't..." Neil promised.

"She took her meds?" He asked shortly afterwards. "Mixed one with breakfast. Otherwise, she refuses to." Neela replied, sighing. Neil nodded and put the meds in his pocket, finally taking Neela's leave.

The car ride was silent. "Are you excited Bhabhi?" DD asked once. "Didn't have an option mate." Avni replied sarcastically. DD did not ask a question further. They reached the police station soon and Avni's heart picked up pace.

Dd walked in like regular practice, Neil started too, Avni behind him, a little anxious with all the stares she was receiving. Automatically, she lifted her hand and grabbed Neil's who froze on his spot as soon as he sensed her touch.

He looked from the corner of his eye that his Av was looking around and had not realised she had held his hand. Controlling himself, he squeezed her hand and resumed walking taking her inside her cabin.

He let go of her hand once they were in; there shouldn't be any awkwardness right now. Dd was already there, making his desk at one corner of the room ready. Avni noticed a similar desk was kept at another corner.

"You work in his cabin?" Avni asked.
"We three will work together bhabhi." DD said, smiling softly at her. Avni looked at Neil, ready to shout but he interjected. "It was not my call, I assure you. I received orders."

"This doesn't change anything." Avni snapped and took her seat. She looked as if she wanted to tell him she was busy and he a vella. Then realising she really had nothing to do, she crossed her arms and faced the other side.

"Here's your first case. This one's a simple theft case. We just want to find out his accomplices and where the loot is." Neil spoke politely, giving her a file and staring into her eyes softly. Avni's eyes roamed across his face as she took the file.

She went through the file for an hour after which she stood up and walked to Neil's desk. Then deciding against it, she walked further to DD and asked, "Let's go grab some real criminals, shall we?"