Chapter 1 : The Release

"We are willing to offer a monetary compensation—" The Police Commissioner started only to be interjected by Avni's attorney. "A few thousands of rupees will not be enough for restoration of the life my client lead before, the injuries and the tarnishing of her image!"

"What is your demand?" The commissioner asked Avni directly. "Employment, because thanks to you no one will be ever ready to hire someone convicted for murder, even if false." She spoke rudely.

"Is there anything we can do?" The commissioner asked Neil, who was standing behind his senior, already staring at Avni longingly. "She could assist us in interrogation." Neil answered.

"Is that fine?" Avni was asked. She nodded, further asking what her pay would be.
"12 LPA."
"Make that 24 LPA." Avni said, staring at the commissioner right in the eye.

The commissioner almost scoffed but stopped when Avni added "I'm saving your police station's ass by not publicly defaming you all. Since we're settling this out of court, oblige."

The commissioner finally agreed, shook hands with Avni's attorney and withdrew his hand in embarrassment when Avni didn't share the urge to shake his hand too. "I'll leave it to you now." The commissioner told Neil. Soon afterwards it was only Neil and Avni in the room.

"Shall I drive us home?" Neil asked, breaking the ice. "Drive to my mom's." She replied. Neil felt something inside of him shattering. Avni hadn't forgiven him; he had not expected her to. He didn't get the chance to explain why he had to arrest her. It was Ballu, Vidyut's side kick who had a change of heart after 6 months.

He testified that the bullet from the gun Avni was holding hit his leg and that too in self defence. Vidyut had shot Juhi to death. A goof up in the ballistics report was identified and the case was shut. Neil, amidst all the chaos and his mind ceasing to work because Avni's safety was jeopardised did not look into it much either.

"After you." Neil said timidly and followed Avni out of the prison. They sat in his car and he drove. "Why the detour?" Avni asked, when Neil took one. "I need a doctor to examine your injuries properly." He answered, his voice no longer timid because there was no way he was not doing that.

"I'll manage at home."
"I've seen you wince when you lift that arm, you are not having a say in this."
"When did I ever have a say in any of this Mr. Khanna?" Avni asked, smiling sarcastically. Neil didn't answer.

They soon found themselves in the parking lot of one of the best hospitals of Mumbai.

>>>>>>>>>>

"Hairline fracture in the left arm. Here's the Diet chart to restore nutrition and painkillers." The general physician told Neil after a lot of hours of scans and tests. Avni was glaring at Neil as if she could kill him for restricting movement in her arm.

"Noted. Thank you." Neil responded and they left, to finally go to Neela's.

Avni almost ran out of the car and impatiently barged inside her home, hugging Neela tightly. She missed her mom, her supposed only support. Neela hugged her back and looked up to see Neil standing at a distance, smiling softly and looking at the mother daughter.

Neela broke apart and told Avni, "your room is exactly how you like it. Go get some rest."
"I'm not getting any rest until he's here." Avni spoke, her back still facing Neil.

Neil knew this was coming so he said nothing and kept her medicines on the coffee table in the hall. As he was leaving he faintly heard Neela Ma ask Avni if she needed anything urgently.

He sighed deeply when Avni replied kerosene, lighter and wine; to burn away the hideous uniform that she was made to forcefully wear and to celebrate her freedom.

She had changed and he totally took the blame for it.