A Night Out

The warm afternoon sun shone through the large french windows of the Khan haveli, illuminating everything in its path. The flowers were in full bloom outside and the weather was serene. A gentle breeze played throughout the courtyard. Birds were chirping and the large pool in front of the main gate was shining bright blue. It was peaceful, well it was peaceful outside at the least. Andar ke halat kuch aur the.

Meesam's small, nimble feet carried her swiftly around the family living room, each step echoing with a soft pitter-patter on the polished wooden floor. Murtasim chased after her while meerab, weary from the chase, sat on the sofa.

Meesam ran faster when her baba caught up to her. She had been running around the house ALL DAY. And surprisingly she wasn't tiring out, but her baba eventually did. When murtasim did catch up to his daughter and picked her up, she would flail her legs and whine trying to get out of his hold. To prevent her from crying, murtasim set her free and she would continue the chase.

Defeated, murtasim walked around to the couch that meerab was sitting on and plopped down with a thud.  He looked at meesam, who was still running around, and closed his eyes in frustration. His head coming to the back part of the sofa as he took a deep breath. He sat there in silence for a few minutes before he opened his eyes and took in the state of the room.

The room was a chaotic scene, with colorful children's toys strewn across the floor and piled haphazardly on furniture. Stuffed animals peeked out from under a jumble of building blocks and toy cars. A train track wove its way through the mess, while a tea party set occupied a corner, surrounded by scattered puzzle pieces.

He took one look at the mess then another at his daughter and groaned in frustration. "Meerab yaar, meesam ko utao. Dekho kamre ka kya haal bana rakha hai."
Meerab looked at her husband in disbelief. "Murtasim, main itni dair se uske peeche bhag rahi thi. Ab thumari baari hai."

As murtasim and meerab sat there, arguing, meesam walked up towards the coffee table and picked up a box with building blocks. She lifted the box up high and spilled the blocks onto the table, causing a crashing sound to permeate through the room. She giggled and clapped her hands at her actions.

Her parents huffed in exhaustion and leaned back into the sofa. Meerab rested her head on Murtasims shoulder and murtasim rested his head on meerabs, their temples touching as they watched their wild child run around.

Ma begum walked past the living room, turning the beads on her tasbih and mumbling under her breath. Meesam saw her and ran towards her screaming "DADO!!!"  Ma begum gently smiled at her and picked meesam up in her arms. . She saw the back of her daughter in law and sons head and walked over and around the sofa. Meerab and murtasim were nodding off. She smiled at her grand daughter "meesam ne apne mama baba ko thaka diya aaj hmm?" She laughed as she placed a kiss on meesam cheek.

Ma begum delicately tapped meerab and woke her up. "Meerab, meerab beta utho."
Meerab was startled awake and stared at her surroundings in confusion.
"Meerab beta jao, tum aur murtasim kamre main araam karo, shabash utho, utho."
Meerab woke up murtasim and they both got up. Meerab reached her arms out for meesam but ma begum tutted. "Tum jao araam karo, meri pothi mere paas hi rahe gi. Tum dono jao, chalo."

Murtasim took meerabs hand and walked to their room, needing some well deserved rest. They napped for about 2 hours.

*********************

As the day progressed and evening settled in, around 6 pm, Meerab and Murtasim finally emerged from their much-needed rest. They made their way to the dining room, where a heartwarming scene awaited them. Ma Begum sat with Meesam, feeding her a hearty meal while exchanging playful giggles. The sight brought a smile to Meerab and Murtasim's faces.