Parenting Problems

One peaceful evening, the entire Khan family gathered together for a delicious dinner

Ma begum sat at the head of the table with murtasim to her left. Next to murtasim was meesam siting in her high chair and sitting next to meesam was her mama, meerab. Anwar sat across murtasim with naurez and Maryam sitting to his right.

Ma begum missed the time the family spent together so she ordered for dinner to be eaten together, which is why she also invited Maryam and naurez over.

The dining table was full with a variety of food. The table was adorned with a feast of flavors, including biryani, mutton Karahi, fresh naan, and succulent Chicken tikkas, along with kheer for dessert. Ma begum had handpicked the menu, ensuring to choose Maryam and Murtasims favorite dishes.

Ma begum began eating. "Sab bismillah karo" she said, prompting everyone else to begin as she shoveled some biryani into her plate. Everyone began filling their plates with the delicious food, passing the bowls around the table. Murtasim served himself some mutton karahi before lifting the bowl of biryani and putting some into meerabs plate who was busy feeding their daughter.

Meesam eyed the scrumptious dishes with longing. But she couldn't indulge in the spicy delights, so she settled for boiled vegetables.

As Meerab brought the spoon of veggies close to Meesam's mouth, the little one made a face and exclaimed, "Yucky!"  And pushed meerabs hand away

"Meesam buri baat aisay nahi kehte, chalo Shabash aa karo, Aa." Said meerab as she filled the spoon and forwarded it to meesam.

And just like before meesam whined and pushed the spoon away. Meerab told meesam that if she wants be a strong girl she has to eat her veggies. Meesam continued to push the spoon away, expressing her disapproval with whines and pouts., not wanting to eat the bland vegetables when the table was packed with such delicious food.

"Meesam...Stop it." Said meerab in a serious tone, one that she rarely used with her daughter. Meesam took her mothers serious tone to heart and thought her mama was yelling at her. Tears welled up in her eyes as she started to sniffle and pouted her lips.

Spectating this mother-daughter struggle, the rest of the family watched silently. As the tension filled the air at the dinner table, Murtasim could see the distress in his little Meesam's eyes. He knew she was a sensitive soul, and he couldn't bear to see her upset. With a gentle smile, he reached over and scooped Meesam into his arms, soothing her tears with a soft embrace.

In a soft voice, he asked her what she wanted to eat. "Nahi bacha nahi, Rona nahi. Meri meesam kya khay gi, batao baba ko kya khana hai?"

"Murtasim—" meerab tried to speak up but was cut off by her husband

"Koi baat nahi meerab, Jo khana chahti hai wo khaane do, abhi bachi hai." Said murtasim.

"Kya khayega mera baby hmm?" asked murtasim, directing his question to his daughter.

Meesam, aware that her father always understood her, pointed towards the bowl of Kheer with a bright smile. Murtasim, sharing the same fondness for Kheer, poured some into a small bowl and was about to feed it to Meesam when meerab intervened. "Meesam, aap kheer nahi ka sakti, pehele vegetables finish kar lo phir kheer kha lena. No kheer!"

Hearing this meesam started to cry again, this made murtasim uncomfortable as he couldn't see tears in his daughters eyes, he put his hand up to meerab signaling her to stop and said, "Bas meerab! Agar ye vegetables nahi khana chahti to na khay, zabardsti se na khilao" His voice stern and serious.