CHAPTER 31 - ROLE SHIFT

Start from the beginning

"I told you a thousand times not to sneak up on me like that."

I exclaimed, accusation lacing my words. Nevertheless, I used the cloth to gently dab my face dry, wondering if he was lurking just within sight, waiting for a chance to get me alone. The thought made my heart beat a little faster.

"But it's so much fun this way."

I rolled my eyes as I swung the damp towel his way, which he caught with ease.

"And what exactly are you doing here? One might think you are stalking me."

I joked and glanced around to check if anybody was staring at us peculiarly; however, there was nobody around to observe us. Everyone was distracted with their respective duties.

"In fact, I am. Since you failed to give me a proper answer last night, I was hoping for a moment with you alone. But you had been far too busy."

I loved these moments when he was unabashedly honest, his thoughts flowing effortlessly from his lips without any filter. But when he spoke words like these, my cheeks flushed crimson, leaving me utterly perplexed on how to maintain composure in his presence. With a swallow, I desperately hoped my voice would remain steady, refusing to succumb to the imminent stammering. I held the upper hand all this while, rejoicing in the influence I had over him and basking in its power. Yet now, it felt as though he had me firmly in his grasp, his actions dictating the pace of our interaction. And with this shift of authority, surprising and unfamiliar emotions stirred within me—a delicate blend of intrigue and sweetness that left me bewitched.

"You are aware of what you are asking for, right?"

Leaning slightly towards him, I gazed directly into his eyes, ensuring that my confidence exuded from every pore. It felt necessary not to hand him over the controls just yet, at least not until I had my share of fun. However, I was in for a surprise. Strangely different from our previous interactions, where he skillfully evaded getting too close, Eugene now inched closer, intentionally intruding upon my personal space. A delicious familiarity emanated from his enticing scent, seducing my senses while his warm breath gently caressed my nose. An unspoken fire ignited, creating an irresistible tension between us.

"Of course," he says. "And I am asking whether you're up for it?"

I found myself lost in the depths of his mesmerizing, deep brown eyes, pulling me into a world of sincerity and unshakable determination. His gaze spoke volumes, silently conveying a stubborn urgency that demanded attention and an answer.

"Does my virgin status play a role in this?"

With a nonchalant look, I casually posed the question, concealing the inner turmoil that consumed me. Under my cool facade, anxiety bubbled like a wild storm. Unrelenting, I locked gazes with him, anticipating to catch a glimpse of a shift in his expression. But my predictions were dashed, as his features remained unchanged. Instead, a mischievous smirk danced upon his lips, like a puzzle taunting my curiosity. My nose scrunched in confusion, wondering the reason behind his cryptic grin.

"I cannot claim that it had no influence during my decision-making process. One-night stands are not my style, especially when it comes to you. I respect you more than that. However, after finding out that you are a virgin, I had second thoughts. Asking me was definitely not easy for you, but you had the courage. Besides, I have my personal reasons."

His explanation lingered in the air, revealing a lack of willingness to provide me with the answer I demanded. Yet I was satisfied when he said he respected me more than a one-night stand. Despite hearing this fine reassurance, a dawdling inquiry pressed against my thoughts—a question that, if articulated, would expose the fragile vulnerability that rested within me.