chapter 8

Désiré

A few hours went by and the practice finally came to an end and I was more than relieved to be finally going home.

"I'll be right back, I just need to freshen up",

" Don't be late"

" I won't",Joe says before heading over to where I suspect must be the dressing room.

Minutes later, I saw someone sit beside me, I looked up and saw it was the same guy who hit me with the ball few hours ago. He had a full afro hair with water dripping from it, probably as a result of the shower he just had, he has this warm chocolate mixed with black eyes which just makes you comfortable with him, tonned muscles which was kinda normal for an athlete like him, and I must admit he was handsome.

"Are you okay?"

"Yeah, I'm fine", unconsciously pulling back strands of hair that had fallen from my bun.

"I'm sorry about that other time"

"It's fine, I'm alright now"

" Oh, I'm Michael by the way"

" Désiré", I answered shaking his big hands which completely engulfed mine, feeling a hint of spark not as strong as the one I felt with Theo. 'ugghhh, why was I thinking about him now'.

"Nice name", he says making my stomach flutter but I chose not to show him that I loved the compliment.

"I bet that's one if your pickup lines" I say and he replies laughing off with his thivh masculine voice and I couldn't help but stare at his lips, I immediately looked away before he caught me staring.

"Nope, that's actually a sincere compliment, straight from the heart".

" Yeah, right " I say with an eye roll but smiling anyways.

   Just then, Joe and some other boys emerged from the boys dressing room and made their way towards our direction, and then I sighted him, Theo, he was with the other guys chatting and laughing, with a towel drying his hair and for a split second, his eye landed on mine and my heart skipped a beat before he looked away and I breathed a sigh of relief.

"Come on, let's go", joe says referring to me.

" I can drive you guys home", Michael chirps in

"You really don't have to bother yourself", joe replies.

"Nahh man, it's fine, what's your address?"

"21, Broadway street", I reply remembering how mom made us recite it for over an hour so as not to forget.

"Really!!, That's like two blocks away from mine, I'll drop you guys off".

"Okay, thanks man"

"No problem"

I immediately packed my bag to get ready as the guy says their goodbyes to each other.

"Come on guys, let's go"

"Can I ride with you man?", Theo suddenly asks

"What about your car?"

"Jessie took it saying she had an appointment and she couldn't wait for me. "

" Sure you can"

We got outside and enter Micheal's jeep, I and Joe sat backseat while Theo chose shotgun.

  Immediately, the boys started a conversation about their upcoming games, expressing how excited and prepared they were, 'typical boys'. Occasionally, they would involve me in the conversation but noticing my lack of enthusiasm, they let me be.

  Once in a while, Theo will look ar the front mirror and stare at me, each time he did, my heart skipped. We soon engage in a staring competition among ourselves, as if daring one of us to look away but was cut short when Joe announced our arrival at home. Half of me was relieved while another half was sad we were home, left with no choice, I alighted the jeep, turned back when Michael said

"Bye, see you tomorrow"

"Bye", I reply with a wave and I think I saw a flash of emotion across Theo face, maybe I was just overreacting.

When I opened the door, I was greeted with the aroma of mom's cooking.

"We are home", I say announcing our arrival.

"Oh, hey guys, how was school today?", Mom asks as she got to the sitting room

" It was good",

" What about you Désiré? "

" It was eventful", I reply chewing the inside if my cheek

" Eventful!!, that's nice, care to share more? " Mom asks gleefully

" I made a friend today", I say not knowing if Jessie and I were friends but still say to get her off my back.

"Really!!, tell me more", she says all excited. Joe as if sensing my nervousness comes to my rescue.

"Let her be mom, we just came back and haven't even rested, I'm sure there's more than enough time to talk about that later".

"Okay, fine, go take a shower, food will be ready soon", mom says before returning to the kitchen.

"Thank you", I whispered to my brityer with a grateful smile which he returned, parting my back before heading to his room.

I decided to go to my room to take a quick shower, I stripped off my clothes when I noticed a bruise forming at the sane spot I was hit with a ball earlier and suddenly a surge of pain came and I groaned.

I managed to enter the bathroom, took a quick shower, got dressed and headed downstairs to get the first aid box.

I was about to enter my room when I met Joe, noticing the first aid box before I could hide it.

"What are you gonna do with that?"

"Nothing", I say, I don't like lying to my brother but I didn't want him worrying, so I kept my poker face on.

"Really?", He asks narrowing his eyes not buying my lie. "okay then", he suddenly says surprising me but I still kept my poker face till he was out of sight and I let out a breath I didn't know I was holding.

I entered my room to start to treat it when I saw my door open and Joe appeared.

"I knew something was off!!"

"Damn it, I forgot to lock my door", I say to myself.

"What's wrong?, Are you okay?", He asks all concerned, squatting so he can be in the same level as I was .

"It's fine, it's just a little bruise"

"A bruise!!, Jeez, you are hurt for Christ sake and you didn't tell me, what if it was worse", he says the last part scared, I know that he's always have this fear of losing me since we were little kids and an accident happened that nearly made me lose my life.

I knelt down beside him, took his face in my hands and say, "I'm sorry I didn't tell you, this is exactly why I didn't, I know you would worry and blame yourself for it, don't sweat it, it's really os nothing serious, just a few pain and it will be gone before tomorrow", I say with a smile reassuring him.

"Alright, fine, let me help you treat it then"

"Don't tell mom or dad about it or they will worry unnecessarily."

" Fine",he says after much consideration.

  After dressing the bruise, mom called us downstairs for dinner.

jee-nii-bee, you requested and I answered 😁. It really isn't easy writing 2 chapters in a day, my back literally hurts😭.

Who are you guys shipping for?, Theo or Michael 🤭.

Don't really have much to say, just comment, like, follow, share.

Till we meet again 💃,ciao ✌️