11. Seeds of Discord

As she neared the shop Akira suddenly had the feeling of being watched. At first she thought she was imagining things but when she thought she saw a flash of red to her left, she stopped abruptly as she looked in that direction.

"Hello? Is someone there?" She called out.

Her hands instinctively moved to her kusari fundo as she gripped on its chain tightly.

"Huh, guess I must be seeing things." She said to herself but she still couldn't get herself to let her guard down.

She suddenly sensed a presence in front of her and without a second thought swung the bladed side of her weapon in that direction as she turned to face whoever had dared to sneak up on her.

It was the man she had met in that other town, the one who had bought her the red kimono and he had somehow grabbed her hand and stopped her attack before it landed.

"Careful now, you'll cut someone with that." He said with a smug look.

Akira's eyes widened in surprise. The speed of her attack - there was no way he should have been able to stop her attack let alone respond to it at such great speed. There was no doubt about it, this man was a demon and a powerful one at that.

"That was the point." She replied carefully as she kept her composure. "Surely you can't just sneak up on a lone defenseless woman and not expect her to cut you."

As she said this, she had a sickly sweet smile. She had spent enough time around the insect Hashira, Shinobu Kocho, to know how to appear sweet but deadly.

"You're right, my apologies." He said as he let go of her hand. "It was inconsiderate of me to sneak up on you like that. I merely saw and recognized you and came here to greet you. I should have called out to you and not startled you. But I wouldn't call a defenseless woman."

As he said these words he had a sly smile on his face that made her grow even more suspicious.

Even as she retreated, Akira kept her guard up, prepared for whatever outcome.

"That being the case, I will accept your apology." She replied. "I should be going now, it was a pleasure to see you again. I thank you once again for the kimono you gifted me."

She bowed slightly as she turned to leave.

"I take it he's your husband then?" He suddenly said, stopping her in her tracks.

"Excuse me?" She said, turning to face him with a raised brow.

"That man who bought you those beautiful earrings you're wearing. He's the husband you told me of?" He continued. "Or maybe it's because you're so beautiful men buy you gifts left right and center."

"I don't understand." She said with a frown. "Why did you come here?"

A smile slowly spread across his face as he took slow deliberate steps towards her. Seeing him approach, she tightened her grip on her weapon even more.

"Akira, was it?" He said, his smile chilled her to the core.

"How do you know my name?" She demanded narrowing her eyes at him.

"Tell your Hashira to watch his back." He said with a wicked grin before he vanished from sight, leaving her standing there with wide eyes.

Akira was left there both shocked, angered and terrified of the words he had said. She turned when she heard footsteps approaching her.

"Akira! Are you alright?!" Came the familiar voice of Kyojuro.

"Kyojuro-san..." She said with a frown as she saw him run towards her.