10. Crossing Roads

As Douma left his Master's presence, he couldn't help but wonder about what kind of woman would capture his Master's attention.

Curiosity burned within him, a desire to know everything he could about this woman. She must be extraordinary, to have sparked such interest in Muzan. He could not help but feel a sense of competition, a need to prove himself as the superior upper moon. The thought of meeting his Master's new favorite was tantalizing, and he vowed to do whatever it took to learn as much as he could about this woman.

Of course if it was a beautiful woman then maybe it would be worth it.

Douma's eyes gleamed as he imagined the possibilities. Perhaps he could use his charms to seduce her. The thought was exhilarating, and he could not help but smirk at the idea. But first, he needed to learn more about her, to understand what made her so special.

He giggled to himself at the private joke. Oh how he looked forward to meeting this woman.

As he began to make his preparations, Douma's mind raced with plans and strategies. He knew he had to be careful, to not tip his hand too soon. But he was confident that he could outwit anyone. His insatiable desire for power would be his greatest weapon, and he would use it to the fullest extent.

Meanwhile Akira lay in bed, peacefully dreaming unaware of all this. In the morning, she joined the Rengoku men for breakfast. They had small talk whilst they ate. Reminiscing about old memories. She felt so good to be amongst friends but that somehow made her miss Kokushibo's presence.

His company was strange and unexpected, but she had found comfort in it. He was not like the other demons she had encountered, cruel and heartless. There was a gentleness to him that she had never seen in a demon before. It was an anomaly that she could not explain, and she found herself longing for his presence.

"So, Lady Akira," she heard Shinjuro - Rengoku and Senjuro's father say.

She winced at how the former Hashira was being formal. But at least he wasn't being his usual drunk self.

"Don't you think it's about time you found yourself a man and settled down?"

She was pretty sure she deadpanned. So much for wishful thinking.

"Thank you, Rengoku-sama, for your concern. When I find the man of my dreams I will surely consider it."

Shinjuro grinned, his eyes crinkling in amusement.

"Oh ho, you have quite the sense of humor!" He said, chuckling. "But I must say, it's not every day that I meet a young woman as lovely and talented as yourself. The right man would be lucky to have you."

Akira was not sure how to respond to such flattery, and she felt her cheeks grow warm. She also did find his comment a little inappropriate. He was after all old enough to be her father. She merely nodded in response as she went back to eating her food.

Shinjuro must have realized that his comment had made her uncomfortable, as he cleared his throat and changed the subject.

"Senjuro, have you been keeping up with your studies?" He asked his son, who straightened up at the attention.

"Yes, father! I have been practicing my sword techniques and studying the Breath of Flame every day." He said, a look of pride on his face.

Kyojuro eyed Akira in curiosity.

"Perhaps you would like to join us for a sparring match." He said to her.

"I would be most honored, Kyojuro -san." She replied with a smile.

The two of them left the dining room, and made their way to the training grounds. Senjuro watched with anticipation, eager to see Akira's skills. As Akira faced off against Kyojuro, she could feel the eyes of his family on her. It was a little nerve-wracking, but she knew she had to give it her all.