Seven

Belly is all dressed up when she appears in the living room after dinner.

"Why so fancy?" Steven asks, barely looking up from the TV screen that is displaying a video game that both him and Jeremiah are playing. I'm sitting on the ground in front of them, leaning against the couch.

"'Cause I'm going out," Belly says cheerily, obviously excited for the date that only I know she's going on.

"Alone?" Jere asks, pausing the game and spinning around to face her.

"No," Belly says shyly, twisting her skirt between her fingers.

Steven groans. "Don't tell me it's with that dork from yesterday."

"Cam Cameron, was it?" Jeremiah joins in, sporting a teasing grin. "And that's his sweatshirt." He points to the hoodie draped over Belly's shoulder.

"It's just Cam–" Belly starts before getting cut off by Steven.

"I don't think we should let you go on your first date all by yourself, Bells."

"Oh," Belly scoffs. "Like you care."

I'm not sure who to side with. Of course, I want to root for Belly, for her new relationship, but I know that because of Cam Cameron I'd just be in her rearview mirror. Besides, the boys always make things fun.

"Well, I'm leaving. See you boys later," she begins to turn, then pauses and turns back. "And Kris."

I give her a little wave while the boys continue to tease and laugh. This night was going to be worse than last, staying home alone with these goofs and their XBox.

I stare boringly as Jeremiah unpauses the game and he and Steven resume shooting zombies. After Jere kills the last one and the game ends, he kicks me lightly.

"You know about Belly and Cam Cameron?"

I shrug. "Sort of. Belly told me a little this morning,"
In the reflection of the TV screen I see my brother look at Steven and they both grin.

"Do you know where they're going?" Steven asks. "I mean, because it would be nice for you to meet the guy..."

I sigh and think back to this morning. "Yes, I know."

"Where?" Steven asks a little too eagerly. I can't help but chuckle.

"Why do you care?" I ask, but I can't resist the pleading in the boys' eyes and even my own boredom and curiosity getting the best of me. "It's just the drive-in."

The boys whoop and high five me. I cringe at their noisy excitement. You know it's loud when it attracts Conrad out of his bedroom.

"What's going on?" he asks, confused but looking somewhat genuinely interested. His hair is a mess and he's in the same clothes as yesterday, but at least he's out of his room, right?

Steven gets up and gives Conrad's shoulders a shake. "We're going to a movie! Get ready, man!"

"What?" He looks around and must take inventory that the four of us are there, and Belly isn't. "Where's–"

"The drive-in!" Steven says again. "So let's go."

Jeremiah pats Conrad's shoulder. "Get some shoes on dude. I'll get the snacks."

"Can you grab the gummy bears?" I ask, standing up and stretching my legs that were growing stiff from being on the floor.

"You're coming with?" asks Conrad, still looking lost.

"Yup. C'mon, listen to the bosses. Let's get going, Connie."

I'm excited to get out of the house, to hang out with the boys (there's never a dull moment with them), and see Belly. She wouldn't be upset to see me, would she?

I grab Conrad's sleeve and pull him with me to the door and throw him his flip flops. I slide on my own pair of sandals. Steven and Jeremiah are here in a few moments and Jere tosses me a bag of sour Albanese bears. He has Swedish Fish, Conrad has Butterfingers, and Steven has KitKats.

"We can split them during the movie," he suggests after handing out his snack supply.

"That's fine," Conrad says but I don't think he's feeling much like eating yet.

The drive-in is only a few minutes away and we get there in no time. Steven and Jeremiah won't shut up in the front seats and Conrad and I sit quietly in the back listening to them. Occasionally I laugh at something they say, but Conrad solemnly stares out the window the whole trip.

"We're here," Conrad says with a relieved breath when we arrive. "So are we going to her, or not?"

"Depends on where I can park," Jeremiah says, trying to concentrate despite the traffic. They must be showing something good tonight because I can't remember the last time this place was so packed.
We park next to an SUV and Jeremiah finally relaxes. "I hope this movie was worth the admission!" he complains, and continues to talk about the busyness.

"So where is she?" Conrad asks, leaning forward and poking his head between the seats.

We look through the windows. "I'm not sure," Steven states.

"There," I point at the car beside us. "It's Belly."

With all the cars, it was lucky we ended up beside her.

I see Belly turn and look at us, realizing that this wasn't just any old Jeep, but that it's Jere's. Her face lights up with shock, then her brows narrow in frustration.

"Uh oh," I release a soft breath. She's not happy. Belly sees me and her mouth opens slightly in disbelief, then she turns away and leans into who I assume to be Cam. He wraps an arm around her shoulders. I feel a twinge of jealousy, not specifically for Cam, but the fact that she has someone and I just have my brothers and her's.

"Eh," Steven seems unfazed but adds, "Someone's gotta keep an eye on her," eying Cam and his movements. He seems polite and considerate. For a while, there are no new movements in the SUV and Steven gets bored and looks away. Conrad keeps watching though. Throughout the whole movie, which is an old fashioned romance and isn't my favorite, Conrad looks at them.