Chapter 1: Something Better Than This

Zacznij od początku

James: It doesn't have to be a world we live in, you know? I mean; think about it, Kyle. A world where all we do to survive is kill; you know how to be a leader, but ask yourself, do you really want to keep living a life like this? Do you want your family to grow up in a world that knows nothing but death on a daily basis?

Kyle: If it were my choice, yes.....

James: I don't plan on living like this forever, Kyle...and I don't think you do either....I don't think any of us do...that's not a life I want for myself...or for Cassandra....we've all lost so much...we have to do better than this, guys....for the future of Berrington and for ourselves, we just have to.

Kyle lets out a sigh and shakes his head before he looks back at Shawn, then James.

Kyle: If only the world could let us do better.....we should get back.

Kyle gets up and grabs his backpack. James watches Kyle start to leave then stands up, before Shawn looks down at the floor and folds his lips. He then follows Kyle out, before James sighs, grabs his bag and puts his goggles in the bag and follows the two out. The three go out to the garage, open the door then head to horses and climb on. Then the three head out and start to head home to Berrinton. They make their way over the grassy hill to see the town of Berrington in the distance. As they make their way down the hill, Shawn starts to speak.

Shawn: Hey, did Sarah go for her checkup?

The trio continued down the hill.

Kyle: She's suppose to go today...guess I'll find out how she is when I get home. The past week, she's been sick and throwing up almost every morning.

James: Think it's the flu?

Kyle: Doesn't seem like it. Margaret and Kayla are doing a check up on her.

Shawn: Well, we're almost home.

The trio makes it to the front gate of Berrington. As they get closer, the doors opened and they trotted inside and head over to the stable. Kyle gets off his horse, grabs the reigns and starts to lead the horse to the stable.

Shawn: It's cool. I got them, you go on home.

James: You sure?

Shawn nods.

James: Alright....

Kyle walks home while Shawn touches James' shoulder as he walks by.

Shawn: I get it, little brother. I do....this world; it's not easy to live in, but we can't let our guard down either. Your morality is what keeps us going...it's what keeps me going.

James: (laughs) Thanks, Shawn....

James walks down the street while Shawn leads the horses to the stable. In her little room, which was basically a shed behind Kyle and Sarah's house, Rachel was drawing in her journal with Hunter in the room. The two are listening to Hunter's walkman and the two teens bob their heads to the music as Rachel continued drawing while Hunter was reading.

Rachel: Okay, so what do you think?

Rachel holds up her journal to Hunter and showed the drawing of him. Hunter leans in and looks at the drawing.

Hunter: Well, you got the eyes right, but it's the nose that's the issue. It looks like a twig.

Rachel smacks Hunter's shoulder.

Rachel: Jerk!

Hunter: I'm kidding. It looks nice.

Rachel rolls her eyes.

Rachel: You're an asshole.

Hunter: Seriously, though. It looks amazing.

Rachel looks back at Hunter.