Chapter 6: Safeguarding Secrets

Start from the beginning

Kenric went to his chambers, barging in through the doors and surprising Jude, who was busy cleaning one of the cupboards.

"Your Highness," Jude greeted as he bowed down. He seemed startled, not by Kenric's sudden arrival, but by the fact that Kenric was coming to his chambers at night. He had rarely spent a night in his own bed ever since he and Archie had gotten together.

Kenric wondered whether Jude had an inkling of where Kenric truly did sleep at night, or rather with whom. If he did, then he never made remarks about it. He minded his own business, something that Kenric wholeheartedly appreciated.

"Do you need anything, My Lord?" Jude asked.

"Fetch me some wine, would you?" Kenric replied. Jude nodded, quickly going to the corner table to pour Kenric a glass. Kenric drank the liquid all in a single gulp, and Jude waited patiently before refilling it.

"Anything else? Something to eat, perhaps?" Jude questioned.

"No, thank you," Kenric answered with a shake of his head. He was expecting Jude to leave, but when he remained where he stood, Kenric turned to face him as he raised a single eyebrow. He had been with his manservant long enough to know that he was itching to say something. "Speak, Jude."

"Nothing, nothing," Jude said immediately. Kenric gave him a look as if he did not believe the older man. Jude sighed, before speaking up again. "You have not spent the night in your chambers in a while now. I have noticed and so have the other guards and servants."

"I see," Kenric straightened his back, his expression blank to not let his internal panic show. Maybe he and Archie were not being as careful as they should be.

"I...I lie to them most nights. Stay outside your room and if someone comes by for you then I tell them that you do not wish to be disturbed," Jude continued, and Kenric's face softened at the gesture.

"You do not need to do that," Kenric said, his voice gentle and grateful. Jude was still looking down at the floor, not meeting the prince's eyes.

"I think people are starting to get suspicious," Jude paused, clearing his throat. "I know I am no one to tell you what to do—"

"You need not worry about formalities right now, Jude. Just say what you wish to. I hope you know that I value your advice and judgment, I always have."

"I think it would be best if...if you come back to your room some nights. Not all, but some. Enough to keep up appearances," Jude said. "I try my best to squash rumors as I hear them, and as of now they are nothing...nothing too bad. But I would hate for them to get worse."

"What exactly are these rumors?" Kenric muttered, his heartbeat racing at the thought of people knowing about what he and his beloved were up to.

"Oh, uh—" Jude let out a dry laugh, "well, some think you go off to the forest every night to a secret cave. Some claim they have seen you go into the town brothel. There is one servant girl who has been saying that you visit her room frequently. In fact, she was going on and on about how much of a giving lover you are and-" Jude coughed as he stopped talking, probably realizing how inappropriate the conversation was starting to get.

"Really?" Kenric chuckled. These were manageable. He did not care much for people spreading lies, as these lies were safer than the truth. As long as no one was to mention Archie— Kenric could relax.

"Yes, My Lord. Do not get me wrong! I do not believe any of them," Jude defended himself.

"And you? Where do you think I spend most of my nights?" Kenric asked. Jude glanced up at him, sighing lightly as he shrugged.

"I do not like to make assumptions," Jude answered. "You can spend your nights wherever you see fit. I am no one to question you or your whereabouts."

"Still," Kenric pushed. "You must think something."

"I have known you your whole life, my prince," Jude whispered, sounding almost tired. "I know where your loyalties lie."

"What about you? Where do your loyalties lie?" Kenric's voice was stern and pointed, the amusement long gone.

"With you. Always," Jude said with a slight bow.

"I appreciate that, Jude. More than you know," Kenric replied truthfully. "You are excused now."

"Thank you, Your Highness. I shall see you in the morning." And with that, the old man left.

Once Jude closed the doors shut behind him, Kenric fell back on his bed with a soft thud. There were so many things, so many worries in his head that he could no longer think straight. He used to think that unrequited love was tough, but he was only now realizing that at least it was easier to hide. His relationship with Archie was getting closer and closer to the surface with every passing day, and Kenric needed a plan to protect both of them.

He would not give up what he had with Archie for the world, though. So, he just needed to suck it up and be more careful. Archie was his greatest blessing in life, and he would not lose that at any cost. He was grateful for people like Jude and Sir Christian who helped them safeguard their secret. For that matter, even Godric.

Kenric stood back with a huff as he walked over to his window. The same window from where he would pray for a single glance of the man he was so hopelessly in love with. He gazed down, a smile forming on his face almost immediately as he saw Archie feeding one of the horses. He was petting its mane, gently and lovingly and Kenric could not help but fall deeper and harder, if that was even possible.

As if Archie felt like he had eyes on him, he looked up, right towards Kenric. A few months ago, Kenric would have backed away to hide from Archie's line of sight, afraid of being caught red-handed. But he did not need to do that anymore. Archie's face brightened as he stared up at the prince. He waved excitedly, and all Kenric could do was smile back at him.

Archie motioned at Kenric, asking him to come down to the stables. Kenric shook his head lightly, his lips now turning downwards in a soft frown. Archie mirrored his expression but nodded in understanding. Kenric hoped that Archie would know why the prince was unwilling to spend the night with him. Not because he did not wish to, but because other matters did not allow him to do as he pleased.

Archie looked around, making sure that there was nobody to watch what he was going to do next. Once he was certain that there were no prying eyes, he kept his hand on his chest, right above his heart. He blew Kenric a kiss, a cheeky grin on his face as he did so.

Kenric chuckled at the actions of his lover, playing along as he 'caught' the kiss before keeping his hand above his own heart. Archie winked at him, before laying down on one of the haystacks. He folded his arms behind his head so that he was in a position to be able to gaze up at Kenric's window comfortably.

Kenric, too, got seated on the ledge of his window, looking down at the stable boy.

Even with the distance between them, neither of them doubted that their hearts were right next to each other. That was all they needed to pass the long night. But Kenric could not ignore the heaviness in his chest, the feeling that this was only the calm before the storm.