Chapter 20 - Loss of an Uncle

I snapped out of my memory.

“What did you see?” Peter asked softly.

I winced, knowing the answer would only hurt him. “My first mission with you.”

He started to cry at the reminder and I held him close.
“What was your first mission?” Clint asked.

“You should know, Barton,” I mumbled. “You saw the result of it, after all.”

His eyes widened and he unconsciously scooted further away from us. “Berlin,” he muttered in horror.
Peter started crying even harder, mumbling sorry over and over again. Both to me and to Clint.

I nodded stiffly. “Berlin,” I confirmed grimly. I glanced down at the crying boy in my arms and kissed the top of his head. “She’s okay,” I murmured.

“I hurt my Mama,” he sobbed. “I tortured her! She has scars from me!”

“You patched her up, though,” Clint said cautiously.
Peter just shook his head.

“No,” I whispered. “I did.”

“She’ll hate me when she finds out,” he cried. “She’ll forgive you. You helped her. I did nothing but hurt her in every way imaginable.”

I winced as Clint’s eyes widened and he moved even further away. “She’s okay. She's alive,” I said soothingly, but it did nothing to help him.

“She has nightmares of me. I know it.”

I glanced at Clint for help, but he seemed to be too afraid of us to come any closer. I knew that if Clint was reacting like this, Widow would be worse.

I held Peter until he fell asleep from mental exhaustion. Then I immediately turned a glare on Clint. “If you speak even one word of this to Widow before he gets the chance to tell her himself, she’ll never forgive him,” I hissed.

He frowned. “I think she’s entitled to that opinion,” he said.

“He was the one to tell me to patch her up,” I snarled. “We were supposed to leave her as a bloody, mutilated mess for you to find. They wanted you to be too traumatized to join the Avenger’s Initiative. ‘Dead or alive,’ they said. Mors was in charge and he chose alive. He could’ve have ordered me to kill her, but he kept her alive and stayed to be sure you found her.”

“I don’t believe you,” he snarled back. “You are just trying to convince me to not tell Tasha.”

I shook my head slowly. “If you truly believe that, then you really don’t know Peter very well. Go ahead, tell Widow. Tell her that her son tortured her. We’ll leave now. I won’t put him through the pain of having his mother fear him if there’s no chance of her forgiving him.”

He stayed silent so I tapped on the glass that separated the front seat from back.

“Pull over and let us out,” I told the driver.

He did as I said, and I gently shifted Peter until I was carrying him bridal style. Then, without another word, I stepped out of the car and walked towards my apartment, which was luckily only a block away. We got there with no sign of Clint, and I scowled as I tucked Peter into my bed. Accepting and understanding, my ass.

I made my way to the kitchen and began to make some food for when he woke up. Hopefully, it would be sometime soon.

--------------------------------------

Sorry it's so short... I'm slightly stuck...

Anyways, thoughts?