Chapter 8 - The Bus

Peter's POV

I woke up, groaning when I remembered what I was doing today. I got up and got dressed, putting on a warm long sleeved shirt and a warm hoodie from my closet before I walked out to get some breakfast. Since it was winter, I had to dress extra warm so that I didn't get hyperthermia because of my spider DNA. Even still, I was cold.

I had woken up extra early, wanting to get there early so I could talk to MJ. I found Steve making pancakes. I smiled at him as he slid me a plate along with a cup of hot cocoa.

"You're up early," he observed.

"I need to talk to MJ before everyone else gets to school," I mumbled.

"Okay."

I turned to grab a piece of fruit from the bowl that we had, but no one other than me and Steve ever touched. Natasha was sitting on the counter drinking a cup of coffee. "Morning Peter," she greeted.

"Good morning. Do you have a mission today?" I asked, not seeing any other reason she would be up this early.

"Yeah."

I deflated a little. Although it meant there would be one less person to embarrass me, I was disappointed. "Oh, okay. I'll miss you, Мама."

She smiled. "Don't worry, I'll see you soon."

I nodded, still sad. "Okay."

I started eating my pancakes just as Steve finished cooking the last of the batter. "So, how did you sleep?" he asked.

I smiled. "I slept great, actually! No nightmares. Well, then I woke up and remembered that I'm going to be in a living hell today, and my joy at having a full night of sleep vanished." I sighed.

He grimaced. "Yeah. They're pretty dedicated to it."

I sighed in resignation. "Well, I better get this over with. I'll see you later." I started to walk out the door.

"Wait!" Natasha said. I turned back around. "I'll drive you."

"I thought you had a mission."

"I do, but I have time to drive you."

I smiled. "Thanks."

We walked outside and she drove me to school. When we got there, it was a half hour before the field trip. MJ and I had planned to meet up before the trip to talk. Natasha hugged me. "Have fun."

I nodded. "I'll try." I got out and headed straight for MJ.

"Hey Loser," she greeted.

"Hi MJ. Uh, we need to talk."

"Okay."

"Thanks. For not saying anything."

She shrugged. "No problem. I figured it was a secret for a reason."

I nodded. "Yeah."

"Have you told Ned?"

I shook my head. "No. I didn't even want you to know. No offense."

"None taken. But you should tell him. He deserves to know now."

"I know. It's just..." I paused, burying my head in my hands, "what if he hates me for not telling him sooner? I always tell him everything first. Like when I made my internship, or when I told him about when I was younger. He knew first."

"He won't hate you," she said softly. "You're his best friend, he will understand."

"I-I'll tell him after the field trip."