"I don't understand?" I stuttered. Of course, I do.

"That I can't do this anymore. I mean to be with you....as just friends". He crooked his head refusing to look at me but I could tell by the set of his jaws that he is determined, "Either you say yes and be with me as my girlfriend or..." He hesitated, I knew exactly what he will say and the thought made me want to slap him "or leave me forever."

My chest tightened, I didn't even know he was important enough to make me feel this way. But no, what he is saying Is insane. He is insane. I thought he is over me and our little kiss in the college theatre. It hurts me to see him say that because despite everything this is impossible and he knows that too well. Then why coming today and do this again?

"You know my answer". It's not that I don't want to love him. But I can't. We can't.

He smirked slightly, "Think it again, April. I am leaving for Florida today. If you change your mind. Meet me at the old subway at 8. I'll be waiting for you".

Ohh, That's why this confession. He wants me to come with him..or just get rid of me. An ultimatum before leaving me.

"I know you. You want this too and maybe we could have a chance. Think about it." He opened the door and looked at me one last time with something I can't quite decipher before shutting the door lightly and leaving me to stare at the blank space.

You are wrong. I can never be free...for anyone not with the curse running through my veins.

•~~~~~•

I was sitting on the couch with a glass of wine in my hand. I was in my bedroom looking at the luxury around me I was born stitched with that I doubt I can ever cut from me. I came back to my house a while ago taking all the dread of what Kevin said with me. He gave me a choice, and I have to make one. I already did. I think.

A knock on my bedroom door diverted my attention. It was Grace, My stepmother. She walked in fitted in a rose gold dress with her blond hair crowned on her head which could only be called perfection. A pair of glassy green eyes is fixed on me as I roll my eyes. She is glamorous, too presentable and also not the one who came to do happy talks with me.

"What do you want mother?"
I pulled the wine glass to my mouth drinking in the savoury.

"If you just want to drink and waste the night, then come down. Show the guests your face and continue in that job of your after." She told me in that icy cold tone of hers which is specifically reserved for me only. I huffed out, Not again of their stupid parties. I want to avoid her gaze but her sharp eyes were looking at me like she will tear me any second. I stood up, I know she will not give up. She does what she wants anyway.

"I am not ready".

"The dress is on the bed. Come in 5 minutes. Your dad is calling or else the next one knocking on your door will be Jared".

I flinch at the threat in her voice. How could she do that? "Fine!" I shouted at her but her face remained stone. After a second she left shutting the door with a loud thud.

Grace Laurie Valentine, the woman who came into my life 10 years ago with her grumpy son Jared Montano and now is my dad's beloved wife. She never liked me, I was too difficult for her to morph me into rules. She is perfect like her name, the elegant blondie, sophisticated, and an excellent show wife. As about me, I am the exact opposite. Like a wild cat that she likes to call me. Not that she didn't try to make me an obedient girl but eventually gave up leaving me with my blemishes. Maybe I am too damned for her to ever be a good girl.

But there is one thing she gave me that I am forever grateful for, that she loves as much as I do, My little sister Eve. The most adorable eight year old girl that I could never live without. But today she is going away from me. Today is her farewell.