Chapter 6

Tyler

I rummaged through all the papers that I have collected in the past but I found nothing about the key.

No clue. No idea. Nothing.

I knocked my wooded stand on the table in frustration. It's been three days since the visit to Dr Harper and my search for the key lead me to nothing. Had he lied to me?

I don't think so. But he made sure it will be no easy thing for me to find the key. And so far Phantom had a score against me.

The microwave clicked and I went to take my dinner which is non other than cup noodles. My ultimate comfort food and I was too tired to cook anything, anyway.

Today was hectic, Running around the entire Manhattan just to sell your restaurant pamphlets. Yeah, that's stupid. But I have to do something to pay my bills.

I took the cup and spared a glance at my filthy apartment. Old wooden walls are hidden with dark wallpapers and black ceiling.
A large rustic red couch filled my living room along with a small tea table and borrowed TV. The kitchen is tiny and with a small mice hole in the ground.

Coming up to my bedroom, It's nothing but a small bed with my scattered clothes. A study desk hiding my research behind a painting of a charcoal skull and a balcony of the New York City skyline.

I sighed, I have no time to fix my living conditions. I have to find the key and get going.
I ate the spicy noodles and went outside my apartment complex.

The cold wind currents making in the night chilly. Good, I like cold. I pushed the key to my black Kawasaki bike and drove through the streets to an old rusty factory which once was a hub of luxury, now abandoned and crap.

I parked my bike behind the railing and went inside. There, I saw Jack and Jill sitting on a metal table playing cards and betting on their last beer bottle. I went and snatched the beer bottle between the glaring eyes of the twins.

"C'mon, I was about to win", said Jill eyeing me. Her brown skin and strong braids glowing in the lamplight.

"Well, Too late for that". I said and chugged down the beer to my throat giving me a blast of energy.

"Did you find anything?" Stood Jack asking me. His black eyes examining my face, trying to find an answer without waiting for me to answer.

"I was about to ask the same," I said, denying to mention my failed attempts.

Jack looked at her twin sister Jill and smiled, "Good for you then because we found something".

I stared at them in surprise,
"What?"

"Come"

I followed them into another room. Jill opened a laptop and motioned me to have a look. I looked at it and can't believe my eyes.

It was a Phantom document.

Year 1992, 8th June.

Four ghosts came for the observation after the vital dose.

1: Rave. 15 years.
[Super strength]

The first ghost gave signs of concussion but was rather healthy. Although his pupils were dilated, he could lift up to 30 Kg of brick with only one hand. When told to increase the weight he behaved violently and almost broke the glass room.

2: Maya. 18 years.
[Intangible]

The second ghost lost a lot of weight in a week. She was more focused than before which was a good sign. But when told to walk through the wall, she refused. We used the electric table and gave her multiple shocks. After that, she seems to go through glass, metal and brick easily.

3: James. 12 years.
[Bullet Proof Body]

The third ghost had to build muscles for the 3rd stage test. His blood tests suggests lack of platelets. He was screaming when the bullets passed but successfully stopped 32 out of 40 bullets but couldn't survive and died on the spot.

4: Katrina. 10 years.
[Pscysic]

Sabrina was calm and silent than other ghosts. Her eyes were red with black pits from the inability to sleep. Despite a ruptured nerve in her brain, she was ready to operate. She did go through the 4th stage. The riddles were easily solved. When asked to read the mind of Dr Cane, she did an impressive work.

I stared at the screen. My blood boiling with anger as I read those files. My hands started to shake and I found hard to keep my balance. A tear slipped down my eyes. The Phantom experimented and tortured those children to death. How could they?

"Do you know what it means?" Jill asked me and I nodded silently, clutching the table too hard that I am afraid it's gonna break.

Jack put a supportive hand to prevent me from losing control, "There are others with powers like you Ty.
We need to find them".