XXIII. ALL AT ONCE

When the memories echoed once again, amidst the betrayal and pain, I still hoped

~ Memory Journal: The Last page 2 ~

Amidst the darkness, she staggers. Sight blurring with tears welling on her face, the peering afternoon sunlight from the seams of the closed black-out curtains can't even light her way. The crystal reflections of her chandeliers are like splattered colored hallows on the walls, swirling into thin streaks of nothingness. She has to close her eyes to find her equilibrium. Within her void, she still steps forward.

Her entire being is quaking and bending to the merciless waves of nauseating storm. Confusion consumes her. Her head aches. Paired with it is the sharp pain on her heart and the pang of great hunger of her soul.

"I love you." Jimin's voice bombards against her like bullets, bleeding herself up.

It was a mockery. She wanted to laugh with its shamelessness but cries instead.

How could he?

Yet she couldn't help but remember how sincere his voice was, nor the joy on his face after saying it. She couldn't even deny the leap of her heart, but once again her past came fast like a tornado. The fear smashed on her face, slapping her awake.

Feeling weak, she let herself fall upon the coldness of her couch. So helplessly, she curls up and tightly embraces her body, trying her best to refocus, thinking of what she can do.

But what else can she do if Fate is her colossal enemy? She had tried her best to avoid them, even when her soul begs and screams for them, yet time and time again she had met them instead. One by one, they are dropped in front of them without prior notice. It's as if, Fate is done waiting and has finally moved the chess pieces of her destiny. She has no more pawns. She has no more pieces left to salvage her. It's a perfect checkmate. Might as well stop time and call it draw.

But why stall for the inevitable? Why not accept? The thought gives her goosebumps. Not with the ghosts of her past whispering on her nape.

'What to do?'

Then, darkness swirls and a burst of light floods her way. In a blink, her surroundings change. Just a second ago, she's alone. Now, she's not...

"Fuck!" Her companion's curse surprises her greatly, making her gasp a "Min Yoongi!" before she could think much more about it. After all, her mind is still swirling with the sudden change that she thinks the swap is a mere dream.

But it's not a dream. Taehyung's voice on her throat and the warmth of the room is much too real. When realization strikes, she once again gasps and gawks at the man.

Whatever Yoongi rumbled is stopped as he squints his eyes and thoroughly looks at her, or rather to the face of the man her soul is in.

"Taehyung-ah?"