Chapter Ten

Sir Harold came to visit me today because he wanted to have a talk

Mrs. Jane immediately allowed me to have a small break so I could go for a walk with him through the gardens. I think she liked the man. She was always smiling when he was here, very benign all of a sudden. Maybe because he was an angel. Jane might work for a demon but we all know she had a weakness for the angels.

I've known Harold my whole life. Every birthday he was there. My wedding. When I heard the news about John. He was also there to tell me I was ridiculous for getting a job as a servant, but he still helped me out. When my parents died, he was there too. I couldn't remember everything that had happened at that time, but I remember that on the day of their burial, he'd brought me cookies. It was one of my most vivid memories from my childhood.

I knew him well, and I trusted him. But ever since Alice mentioned the man was "lusting" for me, I'd been thinking about all of his actions, and there might have been a few things I'd refused to face until someone said the words out loud. Had it been another woman, it would have been clear to me that the man had feelings for her. Even before my marriage, Harold had given hints. He'd even mentioned he wanted me in his life. But on the other hand, he had also introduced me to John, so I didn't know. It was confusing.

One thing was very clear to me, though: I would never marry him.

"Alice left yesterday evening," I said as we sat under the gazebo which was covered under pink roses that crawled up the white wooden borders. "Went back to Dulland."

He looked at me, his gray brows frowning together. "Your expression tells me it wasn't for a pleasant reason?"

I shook my head. "Her father has fallen ill, that's all I know. I hope he'll recover soon."

"And you? Are you okay?" he asked. "They're partly your family as well, as they're John's."

"Yes, but..." The truth was that I didn't really know John's family members, except Alice. "I don't know Mr. Gilding that well myself, so I'm mostly sad for her."

A breeze made me shiver.

"Are you cold?" Harold spread his white wings and folded one around my shoulder.

It made me feel a bit uncomfortable, but I knew he meant well, so I told him a white lie. "No, I'm not feeling cold ."

He held himself wrapped around me nonetheless. "I've actually come to visit you because I have some news to share... About John, actually."

"What news?"

"I'm so sorry to tell you, but he's been found. I'm afraid he's dead."

"Oh." That was all I said. I didn't know what else to say. I wasn't feeling sad or shocked or much else. It was almost as if I couldn't believe what I'd just heard. As if nothing had changed. John had been gone for years already.