Chapter 12: One Step forward, two Steps back.

Ruqaiya paced within her chambers, the scene she had witnessed mere moments ago echoed within her mind, playing on repeat as if mocking her.

 Why had she decided to wake up before noon again? Oh yes, because today was a special day and she had wanted to wish Jalal early but she had found him quite busy---

Jalal, his eyes ablaze with intensity and allure, his breaths measured and deliberate as he practised his shamsheerbaazi against the newest Begum. 

The duel unfolded with an astonishing display of skill on both sides as the Rajputani Begum held her own against the Mighty Shahenshah of Hindustan, challenging him until with a stroke of brilliance (a stumble in the Rajputani's step) the Shahenshah proved his talent superior and disarmed her.

Jalal's eyes had always been captivating, but in that moment, they had seemed to take on a silver hue, dancing with mischief and brimming with challenge.

It was evident that Jalal relished the spirited duel against the Rajputani Begum but it was seeing Jalal move closer to his newest Begum, practically holding her prisoner against a pillar that made Ruqaiya decide that she had seen enough and retreat with her dignity intact (even if her peace of mind was now in shambles along with her good mood.) 

But something else about the scene irked her and she couldn't put her finger on it. 

Was it perhaps how long it had taken Jalal to defeat Jodha?
Ruqaiya would have shrugged the lengthy duel off as Jalal 'going easy' on his opponent had she not seen with her own eyes just how well the Gondi Queen handled her weapon.

Or perhaps it was the fact that their movements had seemed practised, almost choreographed to perfection. Which made her think - was this truly their first time duelling together?  

Or maybe it was the feeling of-- of inadequacy that had filled Ruqaiya when she had witnessed Jodha's proficiency with a sword? 
Jalal was best at everything he had ever attempted to do in his life and so, to be considered his equal, Ruqaiya had always striven to be the same but her skill lay in Archery. (She would love to see how well Begum Jodha would fare against Ruqaiya in an Archery match, a smirk bloomed on her lips.) 

Her attention was then drawn to the display of royal swords she had summoned from the armoury to her palace and she purposefully marched towards it- if Begum Jodha could do it then so could Ruqaiya- and she would be better at it too.