five

CHAPTER FIVE

Almost a month had gone by and the two had made no progress on repairing the cabinet. Ellison was using her bag as a pillow, she was sprawled out on the floor staring at the ceiling. "I didn't expect it to take this long to fix a cabinet."

Draco sighed, "Seven more months before we face death for failing."

She turned her head to look at him, "Don't say that."

"I'm just being real. We're going to fail and then he's going to kill us and I'll be seen as a failure to the Malfoy family."

She rolled her eyes, "He's not going to kill the Malfoy heir, I think that would defeat his entire purpose of Pureblood supremacy."

He looked back down at his book, "He'll kill you, though."

"Well yeah, the Avery's are already a dying line. My father's dead, my grandfather's dead, my brother's dead. It's just me and my mother left. The line will die with me, I've already accepted that."

He frowned, "Why did you do it?" He asked.

"Do what?"

"This. You could've lived the rest of your life without being bothered at all about the war. All you would've had to do was pick a side and stick with it. You and your mum are the last Avery's standing. No one would've asked you two to fight in a war but you volunteered yourself."

She shrugged, "Yeah, I know."

"Why? Why would you do that? You had it so easy. I wish that I could've just sat back and let the war happen knowing I'd never have to lift a finger to help out other than picking a side."

"Just don't worry about it, Draco. It's none of your business." She snapped.

He stared at her, she had gone back to staring at the ceiling. He figured it must've been a touchy subject because she didn't snap often. They had two more days before they had to be at Malfoy Manor for the ball slash Death Eater meeting.

They sat in silence for several more minutes, it was getting late. They had missed supper and the sun was starting to set. "We need to come up with something to tell Him, he needs to know we've made some progress." Draco finally said.

Ellison nodded, "I agree, we can just tell Him we've figured out the spell."

"Do you think that's enough?"

"Well do you want to lie?"

He shrugged, "Good point."

"You can do the talking though, I've talked to Him enough."

Draco frowned, "No, He'll want to speak to both of us."

She shook her head, "Maybe not."

"You willingly volunteer to take the Dark Mark but you can't let him know you've learned a simple spell?" Draco retorted.

"It's not simple. If it were simple we'd already be done, don't you think?"

"You know, I don't like your attitude today."

"Well I don't like your attitude any day."

"Wow, comebacks aren't your strong suit are they?" Draco teased.

She glared at him, she sat up and picked up her books, "I'm going back to my dorm, I'm tired."

"It's only eight o'clock."