Sophia

Monday morning.
In a rush to head to my music class on time as usual, I gathered my belongings and guitar case, eager to escape the crowded hall. But just as I was about to leave, Professor Clarkes voice caught me off guard. My heart sank as she asked, "Can you stay back for a minute?" Anxiety gripped me as I wondered what I could have possibly done wrong. I was never the troublemaker, so this caught me off guard.

As my classmates walked out of the door, their curious eyes pierced back, wondering why an A+ student like me was being held back from class. I could feel their questioning gazes.

"Don't worry, darling. You haven't done anything wrong," Professor Clarke reassures me. "I just need to pick your brain for a minute." She goes on to explain that there's a student who didn't do well on the last exam and needs a tutor to pass their makeup test. She mentions Jake Anderson as the student in question.

"Sophia, you truly are a star student. Your dedication to academics and extracurricular activities is remarkable. If only other students were like you, it would make a world of difference."

"Thank you for your kind words, Professor. I'm happy to help. It's just that at first, I was a bit hesitant because Jake is a popular athlete and I'm just an unpopular classmate he's never spoken to before. But then, my gut reminded me how much I enjoy helping people, like when I helped my best friend Ella with vocal lessons and learning her lines for her drama exam in school. So, yes, I'll gladly do this huge favour."

We both agreed, and I hurried off to my music class. Just as I was about to leave, Professor Clarke called out, "Hold on!" She quickly wrote me a late pass to show my music professor, explaining why I was five minutes late. I thanked her and rushed to my next class, hoping my music professor would understand.

Luckily, my music professor understood and allowed me to join the class. I quickly grabbed my guitar out of my case and began strumming away, relieved that everything worked out smoothly.

After class, I made my way to our campus coffee bar, a serene retreat adorned with soft, ambient lighting and snug, inviting seats. There, Ella and I enjoyed a brief reunion during our break, sipping on freshly brewed coffee, before she had to rush off to her drama class. It was in that moment that I couldn't resist sharing Professor Clarke's peculiar request with her. Ella, unable to contain her excitement, exclaimed, "you're going to tutor Jake Anderson??? I have to tell Alex!" I hastily quieted her, my secret safe for the time being. However, fate had other plans as Alex unexpectedly joined our conversation, and Ella promptly revealed the confidential news. Alex chimed in, offering some insight, "You might just be the positive influence he needs. He's been grappling with the stress of his parents' divorce lately."

I turned toward Alex and responded, "Oh, I had no idea that was the reason. I've always thought his parents got along so seamlessly, but it does make sense that it's all just a facade to project the image of a perfect family. It's intriguing how things can be quite different beneath the surface."

I chugged my coffee down, feeling energised as I needed to head into the music room. I waved bye to Alex and gave Ella a big hug before heading off. "See you later guys!"