Lone Wolf

"Alright, beautiful, now moving swiftly along." The lieutenant said, nodding to the personnel near the door to turn the lights off. They did so and closed the blinds to prepare us for a film. My eyes adjusted to the darkness quickly and I pulled out a small pocket-sized notebook just in case it would be required for notes. Unlike Maverick I took pride in my studies and enjoyed the opportunity for learning.

"During Korea, the Navy kill ratio was 12 to one. We shot down 12 of their jets for every one of ours. During Vietnam, that ratio fell to three to one. Our pilots became dependent upon missiles, they had lost some of their dogfighting skills. Top Gun was created to teach ACM, air combat maneuvering. Dogfighting, if you will. At the end of Vietnam, that ratio was back up to 12 to one." The lecture he gave was quick, but he showed examples of dogfighting on the small TV at the front of the classroom. I smiled knowing that this was what we were going to be perfecting here with the program.

"Blinds, please. Now I'd like to take this opportunity to introduce you to our commanding officer at Top Gun. The very first man to win the Top Gun trophy. You will not find a finer fighter pilot anywhere in the world. Commander Mike Metcalf. Callsign, Viper." The doors we had come through not 30 minutes ago reopened to reveal a grizzled officer probably in his mid-50s by now. He walked through the aisle looking at every one of us with an intensity that I couldn't describe. When he got to the front, he turned towards us.

"Gentlemen," He paused looking directly at Doe and I.

"And ladies... I apologize, it is the first time we have had women in this program. Though I'm certain you will live up to your callsigns." He continued with a bit of discontent in his tone. I actively stopped my jaw from dropping at his remark. I had been expecting this, but not from a commander. Well, it was no real surprise to me that we would have to prove ourselves to everyone who did not want us here. It was a brand-new concept for many of the old command.

"All of you are the top one percent of all naval aviators, the elite, the best of the best, otherwise you wouldn't be here. We'll make you better. You'll fly at least two combat missions a day, attend classes in between, and receive evaluations of your performance."

"Top Gun is not an opportunity to slack off, get drunk, and go on romantic outings." He added as he saw Iceman grinning ear to ear. The smile was quickly wiped from his face, his head snapping back to his notes as his fingers twirled the pen he held.

"It is an opportunity, that your commanding officers thought you fit to journey on. Now, in each combat sequence, you're going to meet a different challenge. Every encounter is going to be much more difficult. We're going to teach you to fly the F-14 right to the edge of the envelope. Faster than you've ever flown before and more dangerous. Now, we don't make policy here, gentlemen, elected officials, and civilians do that. We are the instruments of that policy." He paused, I saw Maverick look at Iceman and they locked eyes, glaring at each other.

"And although we are not at war, we must always act as though we are at war." I'm sure he felt he made his point among everyone present as he started walking again towards the back of the room. I turned to face where he was.

"What are you doing?" Goose leaned over to Maverick asking him the question in a whispered tone. I rolled my eyes knowing this could only lead to my annoyance growing.

"The tip of the spear." Viper continued.

"I'm just wondering who's the best," Maverick answered Goose's question with an arrogant remark.

"In case some of you wonder who the best is, here, they're up here on this plaque on the wall. The best driver and his RIO from each class has his name on it." Viper turned back around facing the front and walking towards the whiteboard. He had no doubt heard Maverick's question and answered it amused.