ix. can't you guys be fucking normal for once?

If there was one thing in the entire world that Kooks were good at, it was throwing a party. Katherine, who was usually at the center of all things party related, found herself at the edge of the pool, with two girls dying to be in her good graces seated on either side of her.

"Do you need something to drink?" The brunette to her left, Anna, quickly asked, once she realized Katherine's cup was empty.

Katherine didn't bother looking her direction, but was fine to take advantage of the situation. "Well, my cup won't refill itself," she hummed, staring out into the blue water, lost in her own mind.

Anna scrambled to her feet, disappearing inside to find the keg. Blair, the tawny-haired girl to her right, cleared her throat. "That's like, so crazy what happened at the boneyard. I can't believe you got hit!"

Katherine broke her gaze away from the water to narrow her eyes at her. "I would love to not talk about that." Thankfully, a diversion in the form of Topper kept the conversation from continuing.

"Yo, Topper's on the roof!"

Katherine's eyes immediately darted upward, to find that, sure enough, Topper was on the roof. "Yeaaaaah!" He yelled. Him and Sarah really were a match made in Heaven—they were both always doing dumb shit.

As if on cue, Topper turned away from the edge. Katherine thought that maybe he'd gained some common sense, but when he walked back into eyesight with Sarah's hand in his, she didn't bother hiding the scowl on her lips.

"Can't you guys be fucking normal for once!" Katherine yelled, making both Topper and Sarah laugh.

The pool areas grew to be more crowded, passersby stopping to see the commotion and inevitably joining in on the chants for them to jump from the roof into the pool.

Katherine could see the hesitation in Sarah's body language, but Topper didn't seem to be bothered by it. She felt like her heart completely stopped when Topper scooped her up and jumped over the edge into the pool, a huge wave splashing those that were sitting at the edge—Katherine included.

A frustrated shriek fell from Katherine's mouth as she glared at Topper, but he couldn't possibly care less. "Can you believe his girl right here," he called to the crowd. "Coolest chick in the OBX!" Sarah clung to him, grinning like a fool. "That's what I'm talkin' about!"

"You guys are idiots," Katherine howled, finally breaking into a laugh of her own.

"But you love us," Sarah countered, swimming closer to her best friend, while Topper still worked the crowd. She raised up so that her mouth was close enough to Katherine's ear that only she could hear her. "I think I'm gonna sleep with Top, tonight." She lowered herself back into the water, wriggling her eyebrows.

Katherine tilted her head to the side. "No way," she laughed. "You're drunk!"

Instead of responding, Sarah simply waved her off and swam back over to Topper and whispered something in his ears, that made his eyes widen. He was quick to lead her out of the pool after whatever it was Sarah had told him.

Not a moment too soon, Anna returned with Katherine's cup in hand. "Rafe Cameron just showed up," she squealed. "He is so freaking hot."

Katherine looked towards the door Anna had walked through, ignoring the incessant rambling falling from Anna's mouth, to see Rafe standing there talking to Kelce. She didn't bother to excuse herself, as she walked towards the back entrance of the house. Her eyes were fixated on him and as soon as he spotted Katherine, he was quick to send Kelce on his way.

Rafe didn't bother hiding the way his eyes trailed down her body, practically gawking at the hot pink swimsuit that left only a little to the imagination, barely hidden underneath the sheer black coverup. "I wasn't sure you were gonna make it," he peered down at her, biting the inside of his cheek.