12 || Epilogue

"Seriously, guys, why can't anyone in horror movies run like a normal person?" I grumble, annoyed as we're twenty minutes into a movie Amara picked

"Seriously, guys, why can't anyone in horror movies run like a normal person?" I grumble, annoyed as we're twenty minutes into a movie Amara picked. She saw it on TikTok and had to make us watch, even though I was the one who had the brilliant idea for tonight. But it's cool, we're all here together, so it's whatever.

Avery rolls her eyes. "I know, right? They trip over air, and act surprised when they're about to die. Like, come on, if you want to die, just say that," she says, sucking up a forkful of noodles like she's the noodle whisperer.

Don't get me wrong, I'm such a horror fan. I love the suspense, the scare, and the tension. I mean, I can totally handle the blood and gore too, no lie. But you know what's wild? It hits differently when it's your own life turning into a freaking scary movie. I'm talking full-on "I'm the star and this is my doomed storyline." And here's the kicker: the thing chasing me isn't even a wicked demon or some evil spirit. Nope, it's just Leo, my friendly reaper.

This is our second movie of the night, and our living room is like a cozy fort of blankets, popcorn, and a buffet's worth of snacks. Mom totally ordered Chinese, but I also sweet-talked her into whipping up a batch of waffles. If I'm gonna bite the dust, I'm doing it surrounded by my favorite foods. Speaking of Mom, she checked out halfway into Bridesmaids and has been out cold ever since. Classic Amelia move.

Amara lets out a dismissive scoff. "I didn't even say a word when we watched Bridesmaids for like the twentieth time. So just chill and keep your trap shut, alright? Thanks."

"Twin, I'm thinking TikTok gave you a bad recommendation this time. It's almost like they've got these people slipping on invisible banana peels," Avery chimes in.

I take this massive bite of my waffle, swallow it down, and then fire back, "Oh, no! A ghost is after me. Let me twist my ankle for dramatic effect," I mock, cracking Avery up. Then her laughter competes with Mom's sudden snores, which are louder than the movie.

Avery cozies up under Amara with a playful grin. "Let's not forget the genius plan of splitting up in the creepiest situations."

"Or locking lips when there's a chainsaw-wielding maniac on the loose. Who needs survival when you can have romance," I toss in.

Avery and I are on a roll, ripping this cliché-fest apart while Amara's laser-focused on the TV, ignoring our antics. I'm laughing so hard, I almost choke on my waffle, and I gulp down my entire glass of water in one go. Avery has tears welling up from her laughter, trying to cool down from her fit.

"I swear, you two are a menace," Amara grumbles. "But you're skipping the best part."

Avery peers up at her twin. "And what is that?"

"Hello! How could you forget the timeless classic: 'I heard a noise, let me go investigate with only a candle,' and then you say 'hello' a million times, like the ghost's just waiting to reply?" Amara deadpans.