5 || Butterflies Down Low

"Have you ever watched the movie The Duff?"

"Are you saying I'm ugly and fat?"

Leo rolls his eyes and slams his arms to his sides. "No. What I mean is... have you ever seen Pretty Woman?"

No shit! Who hasn't? It's a masterpiece.

My vision stays straight ahead, staring at the teenage stupidity in front of me. "Are you saying I'm a prostitute?" I ask seriously, pushing in the bud to my earphone.

He signs dramatically and keeps trying to explain what he means, but chokes up. "You know what? Never mind."

"Okay! You got it dude," I blurt, turning around to walk away. "See you back at school."

Leo is a bad influence on my life. Somehow, he smooth talked me into skipping school again and I fell for it. I faked being sick. Woke up extremely early to put a hot rag on my head in case my mom did a temp check, but she was already running late, and left without seeing if I was lying.

I kept thinking about our situation, and how I just let someone that's not human trail me around all day. The only answer I came up with is that I was lonely before. No one pays any mind to me, and I keep telling myself that I like it, but I hate it. I'm so tired of going unnoticed.

But I'll never admit that to anyone.

"Not so fast, Forrest," Leo blurts, looping his arm with mine to swing me back around. Hello, whip lash.

I look at the afternoon crowd and quickly drop my arm. We have a 'no unexplainable touching' policy in public, and he just broke it spinning me around like a kid on a merry-go-round that has no control of their neck.

I fix my messy hair, pushing it away from my face.

"I wasn't even running," I clap back to his reference, knowing I am, in fact, running. It's what I do best. "What are we doing at this abomination of a place?"

Leo's not-so-discreet eyes roll down my overalls. He's judging me without having to say anything. His arms cross over his chest, and he's looking at me lazily, with a small grin on his lips.

"You said you want to be seen, right?" Leo is behind me, his hands on my waist as he pushes me forward. Not to make a scene, I walk toward the bright store, already overwhelmed. Even the mannequins didn't have clothes on. "Lumberjack chic doesn't work. Maybe as a plumber it does."

Once we enter the store, my eyes lock on the shortest shorts known to man. You need a booty to wear booty shorts, and that, I do not have. "And that does?" I point at the half mannequin and turn my phone toward it, as if I'm showing someone. I will much rather spend the money in my savings on clothes that cover my goodies, not broadcast them.

"Sure, if you want to get kicked out of school." He winks. "But first things first. Before we do this, you're going to have to trust me and be open-minded. Can you do that?"