11 || The Last Chapter

"Why are you doing this?"

"You mean, why am I standing at the front door, about to ring the bell, at the address you gave me willingly?" I inquire, trying to maintain my composure even though my nerves are shot. Whose brilliant idea was this, anyway?

Oh, right? Mine. Damn.

I keep my gaze fixed ahead, staring at the wooden door before me. I'm completely out of my comfort zone, in a different town I had to reach by taking two buses. Casper, the friendly Leo, keeps trying to catch my eye, probably hoping I'll turn around and head back home where I belong.

He lets out a sigh. "What I mean is, why are you here? You should be with your family right now because nothing else should matter," he says, his voice barely above a whisper.

Finally, I turn to face him and mumble, "I'm doing this for you. I'd hope someone would do the same for me. And who knows? Maybe your next human won't be as kind."

I'm attempting to act like this whole "I have two days left" thing isn't getting to me, but it is. It's like I can't focus on anything else, consumed by how the universe has decided to repay me. Either I come to terms with my impending death and the loss of my future, or I sulk until my final day on this planet. I don't want to be sad anymore. I want to smile when the time comes, but it seems almost impossible.

He cradles my face, locking our gaze. "You have two days. No."

"I'm spending one with you. Yes."

"I'm taking you—"

He cuts off the rest of his sentence as I ring the doorbell. My heart is racing in my chest. What exactly am I supposed to say? Hi, I'm Randi, and I can see your dead son? They'll probably think I'm a lunatic.

Leo didn't have a chance to warn his family, but I do because of him. Even though it's last minute and I wish he'd informed me the day we met, I'm still thankful. It's the least I can do.

He smooths out his shirt and exhales deeply. "I wish it didn't have to be like this," he murmurs.

All I can manage is to look at him, utterly defeated, until the door swings open. It's a woman with the same blue eyes I've grown to adore, her dirty blonde hair pinned up. Her skin holds a tan hue that I imagine Leo would have if he wasn't... you know, dead. She's smiling at me, and I'm staring back. It's surreal. Leo mentioned his family a few times, but right now, I feel like I know her.

"Can I help you?" she asks, her tone gentle.

My words struggle to escape my lips. It's as if my tongue has swelled up and my nerves have taken control. I blink, taking in her beautiful face. I can see where he gets his looks from.

"Um, Mrs. Conley?" I finally manage to say.

"Yes?"

She stands next to the partially open door. I can't quite see inside, but I know it must match the exterior. Almost like something out of a movie—a stunning garden and imposing pillars. The house is massive, blending classic and modern elements.