Friendship Sanctuary

As the rain continued to pour relentlessly on that rainy Sunday, Meera felt an overwhelming sense of boredom creeping in. The sound of the raindrops tapping against the windowpane seemed to amplify the dullness of the day. Just as she was pondering how to pass the time, her phone rang, startling her. The caller ID displayed "Amruta💝," her Dear Bestfriend from college.

The thrill of hearing Amruta's voice made Meera's heart race, but the joy quickly turned to concern as Amruta's trembling voice revealed her shattered marriage. And how her husband was engaging in an affair with another woman. Tears mixed with raindrops as Amruta shared her pain, and Meera could almost see her friend's tear-streaked face and the storm within her.

As Amruta's heartbreaking story unfolded, Meera felt a surge of empathy. The presence of Amruta's young daughter, Pihu, added complexity to the situation, casting uncertainty over their future.

Although Amruta possessed the means to support herself and provide for both of them, the thought of separating her child from her father weighed heavily on her heart. She didn't want her child to endure the pain of a broken family, fearing its impact on Pihu's well-being. However, Amruta couldn't bear to stay with a person who was unfaithful, which left her feeling lost and conflicted. She turned to Meera for advice, seeking guidance from a trusted friend in dealing with this heartbreaking situation.

Without hesitation, Meera knew what needed to be done. She warmly assured Amruta to come and stay with her for as long as necessary. Meera's home would serve as a refuge, a place where Amruta could find solace amidst the chaos. The tremor in Amruta's voice on the other end of the line conveyed a mix of gratitude and relief that deeply touched Meera.

In the weeks that followed, Amruta's presence in Meera's home stirred a range of emotions. The initial distress Amruta carried gradually settled into a heavy cloud of depression. Her laughter, once so infectious, became a rare sound, and her previously vibrant spirit seemed to have dimmed. Witnessing her friend in such a state was incredibly challenging for Meera.

As Meera sought ways to alleviate Amruta's pain, a distant memory from their college days emerged like a lifeline.

The Promise - This pledge had been forged during the height of their youthful enthusiasm, a commitment to journey together to Korea - a dream born from their shared fascination with Korean dramas that had captured their hearts in 2016. The mere mention of those dramas - "Descendant of the Sun," "Goblin," "Weightlifting Fairy," and others - transported them back to a time of carefree aspirations and boundless dreams. Financial constraints in 2016 had thwarted their ambitions of turning this dream into reality back in those days. Nonetheless, in the face of limitations, they had vowed to visit Korea at least once in their lifetime.

Recalling this cherished promise, Meera felt a renewed determination to lift Amruta's spirits and help her transcend the pain she was struggling with. The circumstances had changed since college - they were both now in a better financial position. Presently, their lives were more stable than during their college days. Meera had secured a position at a reputable company, even though it wasn't her dream job of becoming an actress. She had always feared not being good enough to pursue her acting dream and had set it aside to fulfill her financial needs. On the other hand, Amruta had become an independent tuition teacher, earning from home to provide for her precious daughter, Pihu, who was approaching her first birthday.

Fueled by this newfound purpose, Meera eagerly shared her idea with Amruta. The prospect of finally visiting Korea, the place that ignited their dreams, the land that had sparked their shared fantasies, was akin to a ray of sunshine piercing through the clouds of Amruta's despair. It managed to break through Amruta's sadness like a burst of sunlight. Yet, when Amruta looked at Meera, her initial excitement changed into a blend of doubt and worry.

Amruta harbored uncertainty about the prospect of going to Korea for several reasons. One significant concern revolved around her baby, who was merely a year old. She pondered how she would manage a lengthy trip while caring for her child in an unfamiliar setting. Struggling to choose between tending to her emotions and ensuring her child's well-being, she found herself at an impasse.

Moreover, Amruta was still reeling from her recent breakup. Confronting that heartbreak while independently caring for her child felt like an overwhelming challenge. The idea of visiting a place which contain special memories for both her and Meera stirred a complex mix of emotions. It served as a reminder of the dreams they had once woven together, dreams that now bore a tinge of sadness due to Amruta's fractured relationship.

Caught in the whirlpool of these thoughts and emotions, Amruta's hesitation was palpable in her gaze. She stood at a crossroads, torn between pursuing a fresh start and confronting the hurdles that might lie ahead. Meera grasped the difficulty of Amruta's decision and made it clear that she would stand by her no matter the choice she made.

The initial uncertainty that had clouded Amruta's mind began to disappear as Meera discussed the possibility of funding their extraordinary journey with their hard-earned savings. Meera's assurance that she would take care of Pihu during the trip alleviated Amruta's concerns. The journey presented Amruta with an opportunity to turn over a new leaf, leaving behind the weight of her current troubles. It was a chance to close a chapter and move forward. Once the journey was complete, Amruta could approach her divorce decision with a fresh perspective, unburdened by the chaos of her current circumstances.

Divorce Papers - Yes, divorce papers that were already in her possession. These papers further increased her stress, as she struggled with the dilemma of whether to sign them and forge ahead or to hesitate due to Pihu's well-being. It felt akin to standing at a crossroads, contemplating the path that would be most beneficial for both her and her child. While signing the papers might pave the way for a fresh start, the potential impact on Pihu weighed heavily on Amruta's mind. It was a momentous decision, and Amruta found herself torn about how to proceed. Amidst this turmoil, the upcoming trip to Korea stood as the turning point that could illuminate her path forward.

Eventually, Meera and Amruta reached a decision - to embark on a journey to Korea, rekindling their college days and setting the stage for a fresh beginning. The trip was an opportunity to create new memories, leaving behind the burdens of the past. They aimed to recapture the excitement and joy of their past. This journey held the promise of healing and a new chapter marked by optimism and hope.