1. War and Peace

[🎶"Focus" by Ariana Grande.🎶]

Lola: Hey...

Lola turned to face the bleachers with the rest of the Cheerios that were gathered in the McKinley High gym. Though she had momentarily held the spotlight, Mia was up front already, leading her squad through their routine with her pom poms in the air.

Mia: I know what I came to do. And that ain't gonna change. So go ahead and talk your talk. 'Cause I won't take the bait.

Perla and half of the squad turned their bodies away from the audience, a finger in the air as they pointed it towards the audience.

Perla: I'm over here doin' what I like. I'm over here workin' day and night. And if my real ain't real enough. I'm sorry for you, bae.

Lola took front and center again, shaking her hips from side to side. Behind her, a few of the Cheerios did cartwheels and the crowd of students and teachers prepared to cheer them on.

Lola: Let's find a light inside our universe now. Where ain't nobody keep on holdin' us down. Just come and get it, let them say what they say. 'Cause I'm about to put them all away, woo!

School was back in session and the school had met up before classes for a Back-From-Break pep rally. The Cheerios, of course, were asked to headline it. The glee club hadn't even been considered. 

Cheerios (Mia): Focus on me (Hey!), f-f-focus on me, woo (Yeah). Focus on me (Oh), f-f-focus on me, woo. Focus on me (Focus), f-f-focus on me, woo (Focus on me, baby). Focus on me (Focus), f-f-focus on me, woo (Focus on me, babe).

As the Cheerios gathered in V-formation, Perla stood at the front and counted them down before moving aside.

Perla: One, two, three, c'mon girls. Uh, hey!

The rest of the Cheerios had their half-second moment to wave at the crowd.

Mia (Perla and Lola): You know I like it (Hey! Ba-da-ba-ba, ba-da-da-da-da-da)

Then they began to fan out. Lola looked out at the audience, scanning the bleachers for any sign of Ricky. She hadn't seen him in four days, since the ambulance took him away. His moms had been so upset they hadn't let him have any visitors.

Lola (Perla): (Focus on me) Come on, now, now. (Focus on me) Oh, whoa, hey!

She didn't find Ricky, but her gaze did land on Alex. He sat with the rest of the football players, clapping and beaming with pride as he watched them perform. 

Mia and Perla (Lola): Let's find a light inside our universe now. Where ain't nobody keep on holding us down (Nobody keep on holding us down). Just come and get it, let them say what they say (Let them say what they say). 

She followed his eyes over to where Mia was dancing. Of course, he was watching his girlfriend.

Mia: 'Cause I'm about to put them all away. No!

After hitting her high note, Mia smiled at the crowd, but she didn't feel as peppy as she appeared. She was racked with guilt over cheating on Alex. As she performed, however, she didn't let that distract her.

Perla [Mia] (Lola with Cheerios): Focus on me (Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah) [Hey] f-f-focus on me, woo [You know I like it when you focus on me] Focus on me (Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah), f-f-focus on me, woo [Focus on me].

Not until she spotted Lucas in one of the front rows, sitting next to Dominic. He smiled at her and she looked away, her smile fading as she tried to maintain focus on the routine. She regretted every moment she had spent with that jerk.