5. I Feel Like A Wo(man)

The weekend came and went. With news of the Cheerios' triumph at their Regionals competition, the girls felt on top of the world. On Monday, Lola sat with the Cheerios at lunch. Having won a competition with them, she was finally starting to feel like a part of the team.

However, the Cheerios table was next to where the football players still gathered together, despite their loss. And while Lola tried to pay attention to the cheerleaders, her gaze constantly drifted towards Alex. Once, he even caught her eye and offered a warm smile towards her before returning his attention to the football players.

Lost in thought, Lola barely noticed Perla talking to her until the latter snapped her fingers in front of her face.

"Earth to Lola!" Perla exclaimed with a light chuckle. When Lola turned to her, she added, "God, Lola. You're practically drooling over Alex. Why don't you just go for it? He's single now so it's your chance before one of these other vultures gets to him."

Lola shook her head. "No, he just got out of his breakup with Mia. It's not a good idea to jump in as his rebound. Besides, I'm not even supposed to date. My gymnastics coach prohibits it."

Perla smirked, "Rules are meant to be broken. And if you took Alex, you'd basically be sealing Mia's fate at the bottom of the social pyramid. And you'd become the number two girl around here. Right after me, of course."

"I don't think I want that level of attention and drama," Lola said.

Perla leaned in, her eyes gleaming as she said, "Trust me, Lola. Deep down, everyone wants that. Just look at Elizabeth and Kat. Don't you think they'd kill to be in our shoes?"

Lola followed Perla's gaze to the table where nearly half of the glee kids sat together. Elizabeth and Kat were deep in conversation with Floris and Ricky, all of them laughing at something Ricky was saying.

Lola sighed, "Actually, sometimes I wish I was them. Just hanging out, enjoying each other's company."

"Oh please," Perla insisted. "You're not kidding anyone with the 'woe is me' 'girl next door' wannabe act. I've smelled the ambition on you since day one, Lola. Don't think I've forgotten how you liked Lucas when he was killing it in the musical. You like a winner. Because you're a winner. And gymnastics, boys, solos, Cheerios... Everything's a competition if you want it to be. Plus, it makes life more fun."

[🎶"Primadonna" by MARINA.🎶]

Perla: Primadonna girl, yeah. All I ever wanted was the world. I can't help that I need it all. The primadonna life, the rise and fall.

Lola couldn't help but smile as Perla lifted her arms in the air, drawing attention to herself as she stood up.

Perla: You say that I'm kinda difficult. But it's always someone else's fault. Got you wrapped around my finger, babe. You can count on me to misbehave. Primadonna girl...

Perla kept her eyes on Lola as she circled over to the football table. She sat in between Alex and Noah, singing as they leaned in closer to her, eager to entertain her with their affections.

Perla: Would you do anything for me? Buy a big diamond ring for me? Would you get down on your knees for me? Pop that pretty question, right now baby.

The two guys grabbed each of her arms and lifted her up, letting her float in the air before setting her down on top of their table. There, Perla strutted it like it was a runway, all of the guys moving their plates out of the way to make way for her, parting the table like the sea.

Perla: Beauty queen on a silver screen. Living life like I'm in a dream. I know I've got a big ego. I really don't know why it's such a big deal, though.