It's Not Goodbye

I was okay at first. I really didn't feel any different than I always did. I was just a bit sore, but that didn't matter. I saved Newt from the cranks so everything was going to be okay now. After all, nobody can die from a bite alone if they're immune.

Unfortunately, they can if they aren't. As fate would have it I'm one of those unlucky suckers capable of turning into those things.

At first, I didn't even notice it. There was a lot of pain in my ankle, but it wasn't bad enough to say anything. I thought I was just irritable because I was hot and tired. That's a reasonable explanation.

Then, I saw it. Black veins started growing from the bite. That's when it finally kicked in. I wasn't immune. Now I have two awful options. I could kill myself or spend the rest of my life as one of those things. The choice was obvious.

I didn't tell anybody. I just didn't have the energy. However, the flare gives you enough energy to harshly shove your friend to the ground. Minho ended up with bloody elbows after that. I went full force. All eyes turned to me, and it was obvious everyone was pretty pissed I would do that. Everyone ignored me for the rest of the day.

As night fell I thought about it. My last day with my friends was spent with them pretending I don't exist and me holding back tears. I hurt my friend without even thinking about it. I was dangerous which meant it was time to leave. It was now or never.

Unfortunately, the only gun was in Newt's bag. I cautiously kneeled next to him. Since he was using it as a pillow I supported his head with my hand. By some miracle he didn't wake up, and I had the gun in my hands.

That's when it went wrong. Newt woke up, and in my fear I dropped him and ran. He became confused at what was going on. He looked in his bag and saw the gun was missing. By then I was already out of sight.

I put the gun against my head as my breathing grew heavy. I sucked in as much air as possible and shut my eyes. Then, I went to pull the trigger.

"No!"Newt yelled, snatching it from my hand. I quickly pulled him down and held him to the ground. He groaned in pain, and I realized just how evil I was becoming.

"I'm sorry Newt, but I have to do this. Just give it to me,"I pleaded.
"No. You're not doing this,"He argued, keeping it close to him. I knew it could go off so I took it from his hands. Before I could do anything else he knocked it away from me, and the last bullet was set off.

"No! What have you done?! What did you do?!"I cried, rushing towards it. I clicked it over and over as if that would set it off. Nothing happened.

"Why would you do this? How could you do this to me?"I sobbed, burying my face in my hands. By now the others had woken up to come see what was happening. I'm sure it was a terrible sight. I was crying while holding a gun, and Newt was frozen in shock.

"You killed me. You killed me in the worst way possible,"I sobbed, biting my lip to hold back screams. I heard my friends rush to my side to see what was happening.

"I couldn't let you-"
"I'm infected. Why do you think I've been so angry lately? It's already happening, and you just let it go on,"I explained, my throat sore from the sobbing.

A heavy silence filled the air. I pulled up my pants to reveal the black veins growing in my skin so it would sink in.

"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry,"Newt uttered, wrapping his arms around me. I just sat there and let him hold me.

"I need another way. I can't live like this."

"Maybe we can help you. We could try to slow it down until we get there?"Teresa suggested. I just sadly shook my head.

"You all saw what I did to Minho, and I did the same thing to Newt. I'd rather die as I am than be hated."

"We don't hate you,"Thomas whispered.

"Not yet. Please help me. Let me do something. Anything,"I begged. By now even the wind seemed to stop making any noise.

"I found a knife in the mall. It's the only thing I have. I don't think anyone has anything else,"Newt whispered.
"It sounds better than being beaten by Aris's bat,"I attempted to joke, giving a sad smile. I was more than grateful when he tried to return it though it looked more like a grimace.

"I'll go get it now,"He said quietly. I nodded as he started walking away.

As he did my friends, new and old, kneeled beside me. I let them hug me, knowing it wasn't happening again any time soon. By now several tears were falling. I didn't have it in me to do that anymore. All I knew is that I would die still being loved. That was enough.

"I'm sorry,"Minho whispered. I just shook my head.

"I'd be just as mad if someone did that to me out of nowhere,"I assured him. Before he could say anything else Newt came back with a tears streaked face.

Everyone moved as he sat beside me. He was trembling as he placed the knife in my hand.

"I guess this is goodbye,"He uttered. I just took his hand with the one without the knife and gave it a tight squeeze.

"I don't believe in goodbyes. I'll see you later,"I corrected.
"Okay. I'll see you later,"He repeated, placing a soft kiss on my lips. It was our slowest one because we wouldn't have a chance to share another one for a while. It was also the most bittersweet one.

Eventually, we had to pull apart. More tears ran down his face which I gently wiped away. He leaned into my touch.

"I need you to go back to the campsite. Don't turn around tomorrow so you don't have to see me like that. Can you do that for me?"

"I will. I love you Y/N."

"I know Newt. I love you to. Now this is the part where we walk back hand in hand."

"And after that?"

"One last kiss, one last I love you, and whatever comes in the next life."