Chapter 14 - Life's a Beach...Then you Laugh

Noah:

As I stared at Lily, I noticed that her tears had stopped. She was just staring at the headstone, emotionless. It hurt me to see her looking like that, and not the warm, sarcastic girl I had come to know. A thought hit me square in the chest, and I realized that she shouldn't be here. She should be somewhere where she could let go of the memories, and just live for the moment. Well that settles it, I thought, standing up and pulling her up with me.

"Come on gorgeous," I smiled, when she looked up at me. "We need to do something."

"Noah," she whispered, shaking her head at me. "It's Sunday. And I have an assignment due in this week that I haven't even started."

I walked up to her side and swung my arm over her shoulders. Smiling, I nudged her gently. "Just for a few hours, trust me Lily."

And to my surprise, she looked up at me with a sincere look. "I trust you," she nodded, looking in to my eyes.

"Good," I whispered, ignoring the feeling of happiness that swelled inside me. "Well that settles it then, let's get going."

"Where?" Lily asked, as she walked alongside me.

"Well first, we need to go back to the apartment," I shrugged, turning on to the path and aiming for Lily's Harley parked at the side.

"Umm, the apartment?" She cringed, looking up at me with a sceptical look on her face. "Really?"

I laughed, squeezing her hand gently. "Just for a pit stop. After that, we're going to Pacific Beach."

When her smile grew in to a huge grin, I chuckled softly, glad to see that beautiful smile of hers again. As we both stepped up to the Harley, Lily looked up at me expectantly. "Where's your old rust bucket?" She laughed, glancing around.

"I took the bus here. And excuse me?" I asked, cocking my eyebrow at her. "How dare you call my baby a rust bucket!"

"Well, that's what it is!" Lily smiled, walking past me and leaning on her bike, a gleam in her eye.

In truth, I didn't care that Lily had called it a rust bucket, I was just glad that she was smiling. "Lily, you never learn," I grinned, stepping up close to her so our bodies were just an inch apart. "But I'm afraid I'll have to punish you later."

"Really?" She whispered, a strange gleam in her eye. "I'll hold you to it."

Laughing, I stepped away and dropped my gaze to the bike. It was coloured black and silver and it looked very sleek. Damn, how I wanted to ride that Harley! I walked around it, admiring it from all sides. All of a sudden, I heard Lily clear her throat from opposite me, "Would you two like some time alone?" She smiled, switching her gaze from me to the bike.

"Now you mention it...." I mumbled, running my fingers over the paintwork.

"What is it with boys and their toys?" Lily muttered, shoving her hand in to her pocket and pulling out her keys.

Smiling at me, she waved them in my line of sight, dangling them right in front of me. I stared at them, trying to stop myself from reaching over there and grabbing them straight out of her hand. But as I looked, Lily threw the keys straight at me.

"Woah," I cried, reaching out and catching the keys. "Why did you -"

"You're driving," she smiled, raising her eyebrows at me.

Oh hell yeah! Running around to her side, I swept her up in to a bear hug and squeezed her tight. And as she angled her head to look up at me, I crashed my lips against hers, barely containing the smile. "This is gonna be awesome!"