00. PROLOGUE : Starry Night

Start from the beginning

Hyein was the youngest among the three, she was one year younger than both Doyun and Dani. They all went to the same high school, even though now Hyein would be alone, as Doyun and Dani graduated just a few days before that night.

Hyein was reminded of school, having now a sad expression on her soft features, "How will I do in September without you at school?"

"Jungwon will still be there," Doyun sipped from the straw, fixing her braided hair behind her back with her free hand.

Just as she said those words, a running boy approached them, holding onto Doyun's chair to not fall on the floor exhausted, "Sorry, I know I'm late."

Jungwon stood next to their table with sweat droplets falling from his forehead and sticking his hair to it. He was in formal attire, very much unlikely of his, which made the three girls giggle at the poor boy, "Jungwon, where were you dressed like that?"

The boy grabbed a chair from the closest table, throwing himself on it, "I told you, I was at dinner with my parents! I left as soon as I could."

Jungwon snatched Doyun's cup, removing the straw and lid, gulping down most of her lemon soda and even eating some of the ice. He closed the cup and handed it to the girl as if nothing happened, "Thank you."

Dani hummed softly, covering her mouth with her hand, "Why do your parents keep going out for dinner?"

Jungwon threw his hands in the air dramatically, "I'd like to know too! We're this close to going bankrupt and they act like we're fucking billionaires."

Despite attending one of the most prestigious high schools in Seoul, Jungwon's family was not as rich as the other students'. He was able to attend the school thanks to the scholarship he had won in middle school, but it still wasn't enough.

He hated how his parents acted as if they had all the money they clearly didn't have. That's why his summer agenda consisted in working to earn his own money without depending on his parents' – who already had barely any for themselves.

"I'm just glad your father let me work at his Resort." He looked at Doyun, smiling fondly at the girl. She had known both him and his family ever since she moved to Seoul from Jeju, her hometown, to their current neighborhood.

He had helped her many times with school, the least she could do was provide him some financial help. She grinned back at Jungwon, "Of course! When are you leaving for Jeju?"

He leaned back on the chair, resting his elbows on the armrests and fidgeting with his fingers, "Tomorrow morning, my flight is scheduled for 10 am."

Danielle frowned, checking her phone, before looking back at the boy, "It's past midnight, shouldn't you go home and rest?"

Jungwon shook his head, "I'm going to be fine, I want to stay with you while I can."

Hyein chuckled lightly, finishing her beverage with a loud noise, "You are such a sweetheart."

His cheeks flushed pink as he scoffed, embarrassed by the girl's nickname. The girls laughed, entertained by his behavior.

Dani changed the topic, focusing on the girl at her right who was still chuckling at Jungwon's rosy cheeks, "Doyun, what about you? When are you leaving for Jeju?"

The girl in question turned her head to face Danielle. She stopped laughing, a serene grin plastered on her face, "Next week, on Sunday."

Doyun's face was veiled by a sad aura. The smile she previously had was no longer visible on her round face and her eyebrows furrowed into an unhappy grimace.

Hyein noticed immediately the change on her friend's face, reaching out for her arm across the table, "What's up with that expression, Doyun?"

Doyun shook her head lightly, it wasn't as serious as she was making it seem, "It's just that... it's my first summer without school and I'd prefer staying here with you guys than working at my father's resort."