𝐓𝐖𝐄𝐍𝐓𝐘-𝐓𝐇𝐑𝐄𝐄. 𝐝𝐞𝐥𝐢𝐜𝐚𝐭𝐞 𝐦𝐨𝐦𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐬

❛ EVERYTHING WILL BE OKAY ❜

EVERYTHING WILL BE OKAY

❁ ❁ ❁

"Oh sweetheart you look so beautiful in this gown," Susannah awed at the sight of Iris. "Doesn't she look gorgeous Connie," his mother teased as Iris patted down the front of her dress.

"For the record, I will not do this debutant thing next year Susannah, even if you paid me," Iris laughed. Susannah and Conrad both looked at each other with a sad look but were able to mask it and laugh along with her. "You and Belly are going to look stunning as ever tomorrow night," Susannah exclaimed with joy, hoping Iris hadn't noticed the shift in mood.

Susannah had wanted Iris to show off her dress before the debutant ball, and Iris granted her just that. Once amused and happy, Susannah had gone off to do the same with Belly, leaving Conrad and Iris to themselves.

"You do look beautiful Iris," Conrad said once his mother had left the room. "Thank you," she smiled at his compliment. "Have you guys talked about after summer?" Belly's question roamed around Iris' head for the tenth time in the past week. Iris had been meaning to talk to Conrad about it, but the two had been too busy in the moment to discuss anything about the potential future.

"Can you help me," she asked him as she struggled to unbutton the back of the dress. "Of course," he got up and helped her, the closeness of the two bringing warmth. "I uh," Iris started, "I was wondering what would be happening after summer? I mean what would happen between us, you know?" she said straight to the point.

Conrad held in a breathe he had not known he had been holding, "I," he stopped unbuttoning the dress for a moment, "I don't know." The dress was about to slip off Iris, but she managed to scoop it up and walk away from Conrad to change behind the quick wall divider.

The two were separated from one another, the divider separating the two of them.

"I'm going to school in Califronia," she fronted, "You're going to school in Rhode Island." Conrad stayed silent on his end. "How will we make it work?" she asked him when he hadn't responded.

"I don't know."

"Con," Iris started. "Iris, I really don't know," Conrad said. "I honestly would rather not talk about what happens after summer," he blatantly said. That had taken Iris by surprise. "Okay," she replied, changing out of the dress and into her day clothes. "I just wanted you to know where I stand, and I want to make it work for us," she said, moving away from the divider to look at Conrad.

"I, yeah," he replied. Yeah. Iris felt discomposed for a second, then gathering up her thoughts shortly after. "Right well, I'm going to get ready for bed," she coughed out, picking up her dress and walking out of the room, leaving Conrad to himself.