20. You're All That Matters

The force of his words hit me, and I nearly collapsed onto the ground. Jackson reached out to catch me. He pulled me into his arms.

"Could they really do that?" I asked.

"It's rare because of the dangers involved, but it's been done before," he said. "It wouldn't kill you, but it might make you insane."

"How could they risk it?" I shivered in his embrace. "Don't they need me to produce an heir?"

He laughed at that and I felt his warm breath on my neck. "They probably want you to produce several heirs," he said. "The more the merrier."

"And how would they expect me to do that while I'm crazy?"

The question hung between us, and I suddenly didn't think I wanted an answer. I felt sick to my stomach. Perhaps there was no end to the horrors the Order was capable of if they were pushed to the limits.

"We can't tell them," I said. "We need to figure this out on our own. Whoever took Caroline might have hurt her, but they haven't killed her. We have to find her and bring her home."

Jackson grabbed my shoulders and pushed some distance between us so that he could see my face. "No," he said. "All we need to do is make sure you're safe."

"We can't just let her die," I said.

"We won't. She has two towns looking for her, including her very powerful mother," he said. "Let them find her and rescue her. You're all that matters to me."

I stood and walked to the edge of the forest. He wasn't telling the whole truth. I knew he cared about his brother more than anything else. All he cared about was keeping his brother safe-and that meant keeping me safe."

I think we need to concentrate on finding out more about this feather," I said, not turning to look him in the eye. I didn't want him to see how hurt I was."

We can do some digging," he said. "But that's all. Nothing dangerous."

"They want to put a guard at my door and keep me locked in my room," I said. "I hardly think there will be much opportunity for dangerous right now anyway."

"I should get you home, then," he said. "Ella Mae and Mrs. Shadowford are probably going to be waiting for you to make sure you're safe. Did they know you were riding home with me?"

I nodded. "I told Mrs. Ashworth to call them before I left the lake house."

"Everything is going to be okay, Harper," he said. "But we have to be suspicious of everyone. Keep your eyes open for anything unusual, like, someone watching you at school or saying something strange."

I felt overwhelmed. How many people in this damn town wanted me dead?

"I'll do everything I can to keep you safe."

"I know," I said.

He kissed my forehead, then drove me home.