40. Eyes As Red As Blood

Three days later, Caroline's sister Meredith came rushing out of her bedroom, screaming that Caroline was awake and talking.

Mary Anne, Courtney and I were downstairs in the kitchen eating breakfast when we heard Meredith yelling for us to come upstairs and see. Courtney and I left our bowls there and ran up the stairs, unable to believe the good news. Mary Anne didn't follow us. Instead, I watched from Caroline's bedroom window as Mary Anne disappeared into the woods. My stomach twisted into knots. It was strange that she was going into the woods at a time like this. Something was definitely off about that girl.

I shook my head and let the curtains fall back over the window. I couldn't afford to go out there after her. Caroline was okay. That was all that mattered today."

We should give Caroline some space," Eloise said. The room was packed with members of the Order and Caroline's family and friends. "She's been through a lot and we don't want to tire her out too much."

Everyone began filing out of the room, and I moved to follow.

"Harper," Caroline said. Her voice sounded scratchy and hoarse. "Can you stay for a second?"

I looked to Eloise to see if it was okay. She nodded, so I sat down by the bed. My palms began to sweat as the room emptied. Did Caroline blame me for what happened? How would I ever be able to make this up to her?

Eloise was the last to leave and she shut the door behind her, sensing Caroline's desire for privacy.

"I'm so sorry," I started.

She shook her head and lifted her hand. I stopped talking and waited as she took a quick drink of water and propped herself up on the pillows a little bit.

"It wasn't your fault," she said. "We were just having some fun. I know you didn't mean for this to happen." She cleared her throat and grimaced. "You're in serious danger, Harper. When the witch took me, I still looked like you. They're really after you, Harper."

"I know," I said.

"What? Why haven't you told anyone the truth? The Order can protect you."

I moistened my lips and pressed them together nervously. "It's complicated," I said. "Things are different here in Peachville. It's not like the Order has another Prima lined up somewhere. I'm the last."

"All the more reason you should take this seriously."

"I am taking it seriously," I said. "But if the Order knew the people who took you were really after me, they'd lock me up and throw away the key. They've already threatened seclusion. I can't let them do that to me."

"You've got to tell someone, Harper," she said. She leaned forward, but then collapsed into a coughing fit. I poured her another cup of water and handed it to her. "Thanks."

"Why haven't you told your mom about the switch? If you believe the Order should know the truth, why didn't you tell them yourself."

She smiled and placed her hand on top of mine. "Mom said you risked your life to save me. She said you went through terrible pain to rescue me from those roses. I owe you one."

I shook my head. "No. You never would have been in that situation if it wasn't for me."

"You couldn't have known that," she said. "Unless you knew you were in danger before we switched, which you didn't."

"No, I didn't, but I still feel responsible."

"I'm okay," she said. "Because of you, I'm going to be okay."

I saw that the black soul stone was sitting in a small box beside her bed. "Can they put your power back into you?" I asked. "Will you get it back like before?"

"There's a spell that can reverse the power trapped in the stone back to me. Mom says I'll probably never be full power again, but I'm okay with that. I never wanted to be Prima the way Meredith does. I'm happy to just be alive."

"Caroline, did you see the woman who took you?"

She sighed. "At first, it wasn't a woman," she said. "It was a-"

"A crow."

"Exactly," she said. "How did you know?"

"I saw it," I said. "A crow with blue eyes."

"No," she said, her head tilted to one side. "The crow who took me had eyes as red as blood. They were terrifying. This huge black bird swooped down on me when I stepped onto the balcony. It scratched my cheek and before I could even shoo it away, everything went all blurry. The next thing I knew, I was in a dark cave or something with a cloth over my eyes."

"Red eyes?" I asked. That couldn't be right. The crow's eyes were as blue as the sky on a summer's day. Pure and clear.

"I'll never forget them as long as I live," she said, shuddering. "When they had me in the cave-""

Wait, they? You mean there was more than one witch?"

She nodded. "There were several in the cave. I couldn't see them, but I could hear them. As soon as the glamour dropped, they were so angry. I heard them talking about the soul stone. They said they might as well get some use out of me." Her voice cracked a little and she took another sip of water. "They had some kind of bind on me and I couldn't move, but when they tried to place the stone on my chest, I somehow found the power to break their spell. I ran into the woods, but they chased after me. I didn't get far. That's when they put me in the ring of roses."

Her eyes filled with tears.

"It's okay, Caroline, you don't have to tell me now," I said. "You should rest. I didn't mean to upset you."

She sniffed and squeezed my hand. "Promise me you'll tell the Order about the glamour," she said. "These witches are powerful, Harper. They'll come after you. I know they will."

"Right now, I have a house full of powerful witches," I said. "They can't reach me. I promise I'll be fine."

I put on a brave face, but deep inside, I realized I was more scared than ever.