1. She's Just Like Her Mother

Outside, a gentle mist coated the windshield. Dread pooled deep in my stomach as I stared out at the Ashworth mansion.

"Hurry along," Ella Mae said. "You shouldn't keep them waiting."

"Aren't you coming?" I asked.

She tightened her jaw and shook her head. "You'll find them in the living room."

I pulled the handle on the door and slipped out into the rain. My damp blonde curls hung limp against my coat. I shivered and raised my hand to knock just as the door swung open.

"The ladies have been expecting you." A short man in a black suit took my coat, then ushered me toward the living room.

The members of the council of the Order of Shadows sat around the Ashworth's living room. They were dressed in suits and skirts and held china teacups in their hands. My faded jeans and t-shirt seemed dingy and way too casual for the occasion. I shifted awkwardly and cleared my throat. All eyes turned to me.

"Harper," Mrs. Ashworth said with a smile. "We're so happy you could join us."

As if I'd had a choice. My jaw clenched tight, but I tried to keep my face expressionless. I'd gotten in trouble enough times in my life to know when someone was about to lecture me. This room had that sort of tension in the air, and I braced myself for what was coming.

In most foster homes, this was the moment when a family decided they wanted to get rid of me. But this wasn't just some foster home. In Peachville, the stakes were much higher.

I glanced around the room and felt grateful for the few familiar faces. Sheriff Hollingsworth. Mayor Chen. Mrs. King. The rest of the women were strangers. From the way they were looking at me, I gathered they all knew who I was.

"Why don't you have a seat over here," she said. She pointed to an uncomfortable looking chair next to Mrs. King, and I sat down.

I was grateful to be able to sit by the one person in the room I knew best. Someone I felt I could trust. Mrs. King gave me a closed-lipped smile. Her worried eyes made my stomach twist into knots. I didn't typically do well in these types of situations. I pressed my lips tight, determined not to lose my cool.

Mrs. Ashworth stood by my side with her hand on my shoulder, as though she were claiming me. Either that or showing her power over me. I forced myself not to pull away, no matter how badly I wanted to.

"Ladies, this is Harper Madison," she said.

Everyone looked at me and nodded, smiling and mouthing "hello" as our eyes met.

"Harper, I'm sure you're wondering why we brought you here, tonight." She walked into the center of the makeshift circle, her palms pressed together tightly. "We wanted to talk to you about some of our concerns."

I raised my eyebrows, my heart pounding. I could already feel myself growing defensive and tense. Here it comes.

"The incident at Brighton Hospital was extremely dangerous and quite frankly, it was reckless." She paced in front of my chair. All eyes followed her. "We're very concerned that you are not taking your training seriously."

Mrs. Ashworth chose her words carefully, but I could tell what she really wanted to say was that by risking my own life, I was risking the lives of everyone in this room. Why didn't she just come out and say it, then? Why keep tiptoeing around these secrets? My hands tightened into fists.

"What I mean to say is, being a trainee for the Order of Shadows is a very serious responsibility," she said. "We can't have our girls throwing themselves into dangerous situations like that. You should have come to us for help."