"What are you talking about?!" I exclaimed finally.

He stopped and glared at me. He crouched down and pulled me up against the wall again, strangling me slightly as he fumed.

"SHE WANTS TO DIE!" he shouted in my face. My eyes widened and I felt my heart rip open inside of me when he said the words. He let go of me, letting me lean limply against the wall.

"W-what?" I asked.

"She wants to die. She hasn't said anything to anyone since she's woken up and that's the only thing she said to me. She said she's going to tell the doctors to stop giving her the medications that are helping her live and manage the pain. She's going to give them consent to let her die," he said, pacing back and forth. He stopped to glare at me. "And it's all your FUCKING FAULT!" he yelled. I winced at the volume of his voice.

"How is it my fault?" I asked, although I knew full well that it probably was.

"She's been suffering for nearly three months. Alone. By herself. The only person she's been waiting for to come see her is you. And you FUCKING COWARDLY PIECE OF SHIT-you didn't come see her once. And she's been holding out for this long, but she can't do it anymore. She's letting go. And now she's going to DIE AND IT'S ALL YOUR FAULT!" Gerrard shouted.

I felt as if his words were physically beating me up. Even though he was only shouting, every single word hit me like a lethal punch to the gut. He was right; it was my fault. Caley wanted to die and it was my fault.

"I don't even know what she saw in you. She put so much blind faith and trust in you, but you turned out to be useless. You have no idea how much she loves you, you ungrateful bastard," Gerrard said, his voice dangerously low. "And the worst part is is that the one person she cares about won't even be the one mourning her death," he added, a disappointed and helpless look on his face. He gave me one last glare before shaking his head and walking away, leaving me alone to deal with what he had told me.

I stood in the hallway for a long time, just staring at the ground. My mind was blank; it had no coherent thoughts. The only thing I knew was that it was one thing for me to know that Caley was just suffering. But now that she wanted to die, that she was giving up on life, it completely changed things. And so when my feet started moving towards her room, my mind didn't do anything to stop them and before I knew it, I was inside.

~*~*~*~

Caley was sitting up on her bed, staring up at the window. From where she was sitting, the moon was in plain sight. It shone brightly in the midnight blue sky, full and silver. The light from the moon streamed inside the dark room, brightening it. The ghostly white light illuminated Caley, making her pale white skin glow in an almost angelic way. Her eyes were big and round, a navy blue so dark that it almost looked black. Her pale lips were curved upwards slightly, not quite a smile, but not a frown, either. She sat with one knee to her chest, the other leg folded underneath her. She wore a long, loose white lace dress, the shackles peeking out from underneath it. Even though she looked so sickly, somehow, she looked breathtakingly beautiful at the same time.

When I sat down in the chair next to her bed, she didn't move or say anything. She just continued to stare outside silently. I wasn't sure how long we sat in silence for, but it seemed like neither of us was willing to be the first to speak. My mind was still reeling from what Gerrard had told me. If it was true, then it meant that this time the next day, Caley would probably be dead.

"You know, I didn't think you'd come visit at all," Caley finally said. Her voice, even though it was soft and quiet, cut through the silence like a sharp blade. She didn't look at me when she said it; she continued to stare blankly at the moon. I wasn't even sure if she knew I was there; she hadn't moved at all. I opened my mouth to reply, but I couldn't find the words.