11. when we're on the phone and you talk real slow

" YOU'RE PRETTY "

<3

"Charlie, I swear to god."

Devin and Charlie were currently stationed at the drink table, Charlie downing another shot.

"What was wrong with that guy?" Devin asked.

"You know I'm not into blondes." Charlie explained. Her eyes scanned over the crowd, trying to find someone to talk to, so she could get Devin off her case.

"Okay, fine. You find someone on your own. I'm going to find Alex." Devin threw her hands up, walking away from her friend.

Once Devin left, Charlie decided to just stay in an abandoned room upstairs. She hoped they weren't all occupied by couples hooking up.

She wandered through the halls, making her way upstairs, pressing her ear to each door to check if anyone was in there.

After several rooms filled with moaning Charlie finally found one that was silent. She opened the door, but instead of an empty room, she found a guy sitting on the bed.

"Oh, sorry. Didn't know anyone was in here." Charlie was about to step out, but the guy stood up.

"No, wait." he looked at her sheepishly, "I could use some company."

Charlie watched him apprehensively, "You're not like a serial killer right? Or a rapist?"

The guy shook his head rapidly, "Oh no no no. I'm sorry if I came off that way." he scratched the back of his neck, "I'm, uh, Mason."

Charlie hesitated for a second, unsure of what to do. She took a second to study Mason. She noticed his dark curly hair that flopped in front of his face. His dark eyes, that looked kind and genuine.

"Fine. Only, because I needed to get away from the party." she sat down next to where he was, and he soon followed.

"So, why are you up here, Mason?"

"Uh, my ex is here. She's with her new boyfriend, and I didn't want to do anything I'd regret." he explained. He looked down at his hands with a sad smile on his face.

"Yeah, I get that. Sorry about that." Charlie tried not to look pitiful, because she understood how the looks of pity felt.

"No, it's fine."

The two sat in silence for a second, staring at the wall in front of them.

"How about you?" Mason broke the silence. "Why are you up here?"

Charlie scoffed, "My friend has been trying to set me up with someone for the last hour."

Mason chuckled, "Yeah, that must suck."

The silence fell upon them once again, so Charlie decided to make sure the conversation could flow properly.

"So, are you a Cousins local?"

Mason shook his head, "No, I come here every summer. My grandma lives here, so my moms always like to visit."

"Cool. I stay here every summer too." Charlie responded.

"Are you-"

"How do you-"

Both of them spoke at the same time. They looked at each before bursting into laughter.

"You first." Charlie smiled.

"No, go ahead." Mason insisted.

"I was gonna ask how do you know Nicole? Or did your friends just tell you to come?" Charlie asked.