Chapter 10 : The Love That Lingered

Start from the beginning

I quickly got ready and then hurried downstairs.

Kabir and I proceeded with various post-wedding rituals.

The most exciting of all was the ring-finding ritual. A large bowl filled with milk, flower petals, and other items was placed between us. A ring was dropped into the bowl, and Kabir and I had to search for it three times. It's believed that whoever finds the ring wins the game and 'rules' the household.

Kabir won the first round, but I managed to win the second.

As the third round began, my fingers just couldn't seem to locate that damn ring.

Kabir found it and was about to take his hand out of the bowl to show everyone, but I stopped him by holding his hand and pushing it back into the bowl.

Taken aback by my actions, he looked at me with a questioning gaze.

I leaned closer to him and whispered in the softest voice I could muster, "How about letting me win this round?"

"Are you trying to ask an army officer to lose a battle?" he raised an eyebrow and asked.

I leaned in even closer, grazing my lips against his cheek, then gazed at him with the best puppy eyes and pout I could manage.

"Now?" I whispered.

He smiled and said, "Are you trying to bribe me, Mrs. Sethi?"

I whispered back, "What if I am, Captain Sethi? Are you convinced?"

He chuckled, "Well, I've already surrendered my heart to you. What's a ring in comparison?"

I felt his hands placing the ring into mine inside the bowl.

With a smile, I withdrew my hand and proudly showed everyone that I had won.

One of Kabir's cousins teased him, saying, "Kyaa bhai, how can you lose?"

Kabir replied with a grin, "I have already won the biggest battle of my life - her heart."

I had lost the game, but I knew I had won in life.

Next, we had the Kangna Khulai ritual. It was a joyful ceremony where Kabir and I had to untie the seven knots of the Kangna, the sacred thread tied to our wrists before our wedding. During this ritual, I could use both hands, while Kabir was restricted to only one hand at a time.

Kabir was having a hard time opening the knots of my thread with one hand.

"I had no idea your hands were so feeble, Captain Sahab," I teased.

He smiled and leaned in, his warm breath caressing my ear as he whispered, "How about I show you my strength somewhere else?"

My cheeks turned crimson at his words.

The day unfolded with gentle teasing from his family, secret glances exchanged between Kabir and me, as well as my getting to know his family better, all culminating in a heavenly dinner.

The next morning, Kabir's parents organized an ardaas.

With our heads bowed before the Guru Granth Sahib, we offered our heartfelt gratitude to the Almighty for bestowing us with each other. We sought divine guidance towards prosperity and everlasting happiness, and in the softest of whispers, we exchanged vows of love and unwavering fidelity.

But my joy evaporated when I was called to perform the Chauka Chandana ritual.

In that moment, my sweet mother-in-law seemed like a villainous saas from an Indian TV drama to me, as she asked me to make halwa.