This is Where the Fun Begins (pt. 2) [Tango, Xisuma]

Start from the beginning

A chasm stretched before him, too long for an ordinary jump. He steadied his nerves, breathing deeply as he grabbed the Force, holding onto it like a lifeline. Trust in the Force, he thought to himself as he ran forward and leaped, sailing over the gap. He stumbled on impact, relief flooding through him as his anxiety peaked through the adrenaline. He glanced back, admiring the inhuman feat he had achieved.

The next room was distinctly familiar. It was his old home, back on Tatooine. The farm was as it always had been, with no signs of the sand people. The twin suns were sinking over the horizon as he continued staring at the farm in disbelief. Zedaph and his aunt exited the doorway of the hut.

"Hey Tango!" Zedaph cried, waving him over. He stayed rooted to his spot looking intently at him. "Is something wrong?" Zed asked, concern flooding his gaze.

Tango looked the opposite direction, sensing the ripples in the Force. Zedaph was not here. His heart knew that. He looked back longingly, watching Zedaph bounce on his toes the way he always did when he was nervous. His eyes and mind were deceiving him, he knew, so he closed them, shutting out the overwhelming sight.

"I'm sorry I couldn't save you, Zed," he whispered, turning away. His brother didn't call after him as he left, the vision fading away.

The hallway opened up before him, revealing a vaulted ceiling disappearing into shadows. A figure stood in the center of the room, hood pulled over his head. Tango's breath caught in his throat. Instinctively, his hand went to the holster on his belt before he realized he'd left his blaster with Impulse. He swallowed, taking a step forward to try and see who the mysterious being was.

"Welcome to your reward." The words were barely audible as a box was held out to him. "Take it. It is yours."

"What is it?" Tango checked, fighting the temptation to reach out and grab the box.

"Power."

Tango froze. Power. Limitless, he was sure. The ability to do anything, unrelenting energy flowing. With it... he could save the people he had left. Maybe he could bring the dead back to life. His suffering would be over the second he opened the box. But that wasn't the way of the Force, as Xisuma had told him on the flight over. The want for power over the desire to protect was what distinguished Sith from Jedi. As much as he longed for the possible end of his problems, Tango did the reasonable thing.

"No."

The scene disintegrated, the figure and offered box disappearing. In their place was a small pedestal carrying a small, blue crystal. Confidently, Tango stepped up and retrieved it, feeling the Force hum with approval. Soft footsteps behind him alerted him to Xisuma's presence.

"Jedi Master Void," he said, "what do I do now?"

Xisuma chuckled. "That's the core of your lightsaber. What d'you think we're gonna do?" He held out a small box lined and decorated with swirls and patterns burned into it. "I found the parts in one of the side rooms. Training gear is already on the ship."

Tango took the box, sliding the lock out of place and opening it to reveal a velvet-lined interior. Components were jumbled and mixed in the container, a mess of metal plates, cylinders, and wires. Tango sat on the ground and removed a few parts from the box, laying them out in front of him. He set the crystal in the center, trying to envision how it would fit together.

Xisuma watched him from the edge of the room, his new dark brown, voluminous cloak partially hiding him in the shadows. The Jedi Master noticed his gaze and smiled knowingly, raising his eyebrows in an unspoken question.

"Trust the Force?" Tango asked, tilting his head. Xisuma nodded, crossing his arms beneath the cloak. Tango put the parts back in the box and picked it up, placing the crystal in the center. He closed his eyes and reached for the Force, trying to get it to assemble the hilt. Something responded and moved as the atmosphere hummed.