Parvati's Penance

Začať od začiatku

Lord Vishnu smiled and replied, "Goddess Parvati, if You say so then please accept Me as Your brother and I shall humbly and gladly accept it."

Lord Vishnu's request was a reminiscence of the sibling bond between Him and Goddess AdiparaShakti in Their celestial abode.

Parvati smiled and tied a bracelet around His wrist.

_____________________________________________

Parvati's determination had now turned into Her stubbornness

Parvati's determination had now turned into Her stubbornness. She had given up everything and taken up the ways of an ascetic.

She wondered why Shiva never visited Her even though He was easily pleased by the other devotees.

She felt disheartened but She was not going to give up.  One day, She followed a devotee who would regularly roam around Her Hut. She wanted to have a glimpse of the Lord.

She reached a small grove and hid behind a tree. What She didn't know was that it was Shiva and Nandi. They would join Her in Her daily prayers and watch over Her.

She overheard their conversation. "If She wears royal robes and dresses up to remind me of Sati, let Her know that She can never take Her place in My life."

Parvati was shocked and hurt at the revelation. She had never imagined that Shiva would be angry at Her because He thought that She was impersonating Sati.

She had no intention of hurting Him by reminding Him of the past. And She had no idea that He misinterpreted Her intentions.

She realised that She would have to give up all mortal and material possessions to bring Shiva closer.

She abandoned Her royal clothes, Her regality as a Princess and even Her nutrition. She gave up all food and water and just survived on a single leaf everyday.

She had gone into deep meditation and the highest state of Her penance. She would not open Her eyes until Shiva wasn't in front of Her.

Even if it resulted in Her death, She would take birth again. But She would not give up Her resolve.

She has become pale and weak as a skeleton. But She never thought of returning to Her lavish palace or meeting Her parents. She once had people catering to Her every want but now She had even given up Her every need by choice.

Years and decades passed with Parvati still in meditation. Shiva was so moved by Her dedication that He blessed Her. His blessings helped Her survive amidst the harsh surroundings, without food and water.

One day, He decided to visit Her in the guise of a Brahmin and test Her. He hurled insults at Shiva and tried to persuade Her to marry someone else and break Her penance. He was genuinely worried about the severity of Her austerity and wondered why She was punishing Herself for no cause.

"You're so beautiful and young, and You must be having a lot of suitors. You can easily marry any handsome Prince and live a lavish life with Him in the comforts of a palace. Why are You adamant on marrying a hermit? He has nothing to offer You and He doesn't even have a stable home. He keeps wandering like a nomad and I have heard that He has lost His sanity."

Parvati was so annoyed at His hindrance in Her meditation. She had vowed to never open Her eyes until She saw Shiva but He had made Her wake up deliberately. She wanted to only see Shiva when She woke up, and secretly, Shiva had kept Her vow, though not to Her knowledge.

"Lord Shiva is My Husband and I have grown up with that thought as My only purpose in life. He may be a nomad but I will help Him settle. He is the epitome of love and devotion and I love Him. He may have not anything to offer but I have nothing to lose."

She didn't bulge or reason with Him. She didn't want to be distracted or listen to His ranting.

"You are just wasting Your time. Go back to Your castle and live a peaceful life. Look at Yourself! How much You've suffered and turned weak and pale."

She snapped back, "If You have heard so much about Him, then let Me know where I can find Him. You've disturbed My penance and now You must pay for it. Tell Me His location and kindly grant Me Your blessings so that I am successful this time in My trial."

The Brahmin obliged and told Her to go to the same cave She began Her journey with, thus ending in a full circle.

And true to His words, She found Shiva meditating inside the same small, secret cubicle of the cave. It was the same place She dreaded so much because She had angered Him here by ignorance.

She was facing Her fears and learning to be enlightened.

Where there is fear, there is no love. And when Love flourishes, all fear is dispelled.

Shiva was there waiting for His Shakti to unite with Him again.

।। ॐ नमः पार्वती पतिये हर हर महादेव ।।

।। ॐ नमः शिवाय ।।