Part 8: the hotel room view

The group chat was active the whole night while Ryan was asleep. Phil, Nick and jack agreed to meet with Ryan at the town with the port.
Everyone waited a few days for things to calm down with David. For him to feel safe again. As days go by Nicole healed slowly.

Max helps her off the couch where she had spent the past few days.
"You can finally walk I see. They grow up so fast don't they?"
Nicole stumbles a tiny bit before turning to him.
"Shut up max you twat." She smirked at him.
She slowly walks over to the bathroom to shower after days. Max sits outside the door protecting her. He couldn't let her out of his sight. In his mind if something happened to her, he'd never forgive himself.

The day eventually came. Ryan prepared in the war room while max walks in on him.
"You're late max." Ryan's cold voice echo's around the room.
"Oh fucking hell. By a minute."
Ryan looks down disapprovingly before throwing max his bag.
"You're lucky I packed everything for you anyway.
He took the bag and swung it around his shoulder.
"So your friends know where to meet us then yeah?" Max asked.
Silence filled the room as Ryan just nods. He's too focused filling bags with ammo.

Max walks to his convertible. He's riding with Nicole while Ryan rides with Kelly. He helps Nicole into the passenger seat before getting in the drivers and starting the car. The family home looks back at him through the rear view mirror. Not sure if this would be the last time seeing the home. Ryan starts driving with Kelly as max takes off after him.

As they're driving down the highway Nicole covers her ears from the speakers. The radio is turned up loud from last time max was driving and is playing early 2010s edm.
"Can you turn this shit off max? I've heard it  thousands of times." She pleads.
As if he's deaf he doesn't respond and keeps bobbing his head in tune with the music. She eventually gets sick of being ignored and decides to change the radio to the top 10s.
"What have you done that for?" He shouts at her.
She looks out the window and watches the cars go past. As max watches her he smiles slightly and leaves the music on.

The drone of the cars engine drowns everything out to him. He's too focused on Ryan's car infront.

Ryan is on the laptop in the passenger seat next to Kelly.
"So me and the others are going to go through this container yard first, and go back to the hotel with max and Nicole and then we all go in on the port?"
Kelly glances quickly at him before nodding.
His heart begins pounding in his chest at the thought of being face to face with David again. He doesn't know what he's do if he gets to be alone with David. Ryan's fists begin clenching by themselves before Kelly breaks him out of the zone he's in.
"Ryan focus. We need to find out what hes got in those containers first before we move in on the port. We need to seal off all exits for him."
He blinks a few times before returning back to where he is.

The port on the horizon grows closer as they keep driving. Eventually they all arrive at the hotel overseeing the port. Kelly checks in while max and Ryan take the bags to the room. Nicole is helped up by Kelly. Upon opening the door they're greeted by two beds and a wall sized window.
"This is it Huh?" Max says while dropping the bag of ammo from his shoulder.
Kelly nods and begins setting up the laptop on the bed for Nicole.
"Ryan. The others should be meeting you at any point now. You best be off." Kelly whispers over.
Ryan nods before equipping himself with just a silenced pistol.
"Will you be staying here Kelly?" Max asks while he takes a long drink from a beer bottle.
She nods her head.
"I got my own room so it doesn't look suspicious. It's for both me and Ryan but we probably won't use it."

After half an hour Kelly has set up the radio and laptop for Nicole. She walks out to her own room after giving Nicole all the instructions for the laptop and software.

Max's phone begins ringing not too long after.
"Oh fuck It's my girlfriend." He shouts loudly.
Nicole just laughs at him lightly. He struggles to pick his phone up before answering.
"Yes hello babe." He awkwardly tries to sound sober.
Nicole just continued to laugh at him stumble his way through the conversation. Max starts rubbing his forehead and neck profusely as he tries to explain what's going on.
"Basically I'm currently in this random fucking town with a port. And the guy with the port is a very bad guy and we have to deal with him. Yesyes I know be safe and all that. Okay I love you too. I'll speak to you soon.".
He hangs up the phone as a tear comes to Nicole's eye.
"Awh max is in love." She playfully jabs at him.