10. 𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐎𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐫𝐬

Ξεκινήστε από την αρχή

Standing to my feet, I nodded and began to follow him. Suddenly the receptionist appeared in front of us.

"I'm so sorry Mr. Roberts! I hope he isn't bothering you, I asked him to wait-"

"Bothering him," I interrupted.

The man, who seemed to be named Mr. Roberts looked dumbfounded.

"Yes, I was hoping you wouldn't make a scene," she said in a low voice.

"Juliette-" he began before she rudely cut him off.

"I assumed he'd have enough sense to leave on his own, but I was just about to get security to escort him out."

Just as I suspected. She was just gonna make me wait until I left. I sized her up, getting ready to snap on this Mary-Kate and Ashley-looking bitch before he spoke up.

"Juliette, this is one of our executive customers! Not only did you have him waiting for an hour, but you also wanted to have security toss him out!?"

"Executive," she said to him, with an amused smirk. It was like she was waiting on a punchline. When she realized he wasn't joking, she began growing pale. "Oh- Oh my goodness, I am so sorry!"

"Why are you saying sorry to me," he asked annoyed.

She covered her face, "I didn't mean any disrespect-"

"Apologize to Mr.Voss and make yourself scarce," he ordered, embarrassment written all over his face.

"I am so sorry, Mr. Voss!"

I rolled my eyes brushing her off. "No you're not, but whatever."

She stared blankly, then he quickly shooed her off. I could see frustration washing over her as she scurried off. Like this was what she was trained to do and now her world was flipped upside down. This Mr. Roberts guy probably wasn't any different, he just had more information than she did. I was about ready to get my ass out of here.

Before I knew it I was in a large modern office. All the surfaces looked like slabs of marble straight from stone. The sunshine was bright shining through the windows, and everything looked like it'd been scrubbed clean with a toothbrush.

There was an older white sitting in a tall office chair. He didn't even look up as he spoke, "What is it?"

"Hey Greg, we have a platinum card member here to check the status of his account."

The old man's eyes shot up to look me over. He then looked at Mr. Roberts for confirmation, who gave him a confident nod.

"Please come right in," he said hesitantly. "Thanks, Roberts."

"No problem, I hope you get everything sorted out here Mr. Voss," he said leaving out and closing the door behind him.

Before I could even sit down he eagerly asked for my ID and social security card. "My card? Don't you just need my last four?"

"Your platinum membership comes with a high level of security. That wasn't explained to you when you opened your account?"

"My Grand-Aunt opened it for me," I explained fishing out my SSN card. He grunted in response holding out his hand.

Once I gave him both documents he scanned over them intently, as if looking for some kind of flaw. After a long while, he finally went to his computer and started typing. After a few clicks, he furrowed his eyebrows and moved his glasses from his eyes.

"Sit tight, Mr. Voss. I'm gonna go ahead and get the police on the line," he said with a smug grin.

"Excuse me?"

"Yeah, I knew you looked familiar, you're that crook that stole from First Fitzgerald's Bank. Now you're in here trying to access an account opened by Eleanor Fitzgerald? Your Grand-Aunt-"

I had nearly forgotten about my very public legal issue. I hadn't thought about how it would look for me to be trying to check on a large sum of money from Eleanor right now.

"I know it sounds crazy, but I promise you. She is my Grand-Aunt. You don't know the full story."

"I know Eleanor personally," he began. Standing from his chair, he circled his desk and dragged himself to the door. When I turned to watch him, he looked me right in the eyes as he turned the lock on the door and pulled his phone out saying, "I'd know if she had a Negro as her Grand-Son"