Kabanata 10

~ ALEX~

[Situation: Why wear a theater mask?]

We reached the town of North Hill. It's been a while since I've been in this town. Even though my mom lived here, I haven't visited her since I stayed in Flitzburg. It takes four hours to get to the southern border of North Hill and another hour and thirty minutes to get to Myrefields where mom lives.

The town of North Hill is pretty much the countryside, and as you move further north, you'll see smaller villages with a simple lifestyle.

Mom decided to live here because my grandmother, her mother, chose to live her remaining life in this small town. Mom said, it is peaceful and relaxing, and I can testify to that. The place has its charm. Compared to big cities like Flitzburg, this place is where you can relax and see the sun rise in the eastern fields and the sun sets at the western hill. It is truly breathtaking, but for some reason, I can't call it home.

"Are you okay?" I asked. Brielle gave me a nod. She'd been tense and quiet since the whole ride.

Honestly, it should have been good but to see her lost and unstable doesn't sit well on me. I'm so used to seeing her brimming with energy like the sun and unbound like the gust of wind.

"Do you want me to go with you?"

"NO. Alam kong parehas lang tayong umiiwas sa kung ano man ang pwedeng mangyari sa atin kapag tumuloy tayo sa lugar na yan pero wala na tayong magagawa. We're here."

Seriously, she's been on edge.

"Are you telling me that or to yourself?"

I don't know what reason she has to avoid this place. All I could think of has something to do with her sister.

___

~ Summer; 3 years ago; Private Resort ~

I was asked to attend a social gathering out of town. Mom was supposed to be the one attending but for some reason, she has to go somewhere else so I'm here to represent her.

I socialised with a few people, some were business partners, some were acquainted with my parents and some were potential clients. There's not much to see here, that is until I caught a glimpse of someone by the bar area. I walked closer to make sure I was not hallucinating.

"I knew it. It really was you."

Her eyes look tired and weary. If I'm not mistaken, Aileen told us that she has a party to attend tonight but I didn't know it would be the same as where I'll be.

"Hanggang dito ba naman sinusundan mo ko, Alexander!"

"Geez. At hanggang dito ba naman hindi mo pa rin alam ang salitang 'tone down'?"

By the looks of it, her mood turned sour again. Hindi mo na mapapasin masyado 'yong kapaguran sa mata niya. She's back to the fierce and stubborn attitude.

"What brought you here?"

" Ako dapat ang nag-tatanong nyan," she asked

"Hmm, but I asked first so you answer the question first."

"Tsk. Ang mga paa ko. Iyon ang nagdala sa 'kin dito. So to what purpose do we owe your presence, Alexander? "

I just shake my head at her response. I knew she's not in the mood to talk or argue. I better watch my words before she turns into a dragon.