[04] Familiar Faces

Comenzar desde el principio

"We're not... huh—what?" He stumbled with his words. Jayce simply departed the room and yet again, left the two alone.

Downstairs, Natalia bid farewell to her friend and sat at the dining table where Jayce set out some plates.

"How comes Nate can have people round but I can't?" Natalia pouted, waiting for her brother and his friend to finally come down the stairs so she could get to eating.

"Because..." Jayce started, leaning on their kitchen island and facing his younger sister with a shrug. "Nate actually has friends to take home."

"Hey! What's that supposed to mean?" The girl protested, crossing her arms over her chest.

"Kidding, kidding. Besides, you have Shea around all the time." Jayce mentioned with a point of his finger.

"So?" Natalia rolled her eyes, and Jayce looked at her in disbelief. Nate and Lucas emerged from the door and sat next to each other around the table.

The four ate in mostly silence, having small talk from time to time. As they ate, they heard the front door open, and a woman who looked like she was in her early thirties locked the door behind her.

She was a petite asian woman with dark brown eyes, and Lucas noticed that Nate, Jayce and Natalia didn't look even the tiniest bit asian, but he shrugged it off.

"Mama bear's home." Jayce whistled as he got up to greet his mother. Natalia followed after him and Nate turned to face his friend, holding out his hand.

"Come, let me introduce you to one of my moms." Nate said, and Lucas nodded, silently taking his hand.

The two boys walked hand in hand into the lobby, where Jayce and Natalia conversed with their mother. Her eyes found her son and the boy, a confused expression on her face.

"Hey, Mama." Nate greeted with a wave, his hand never leaving Lucas'. Nate's mother smiled at her youngest son.

"Hello, baby," She responded, turning her attention to Lucas, who tensed. "I haven't seen your handsome face before, what's your name, sweetheart?"

"I—"

"This is my best friend Lucas. His brother couldn't pick him up so he came here." Nate replied for him. His mother sent him a scolding look.

"Let your friend speak for himself," She wiggled her finger in Nate's face, tutting. "But if that's the case... stay for as long as you need! Next time, call me beforehand, though."

Nate nodded and turned to Lucas, who bowed in front of Nate's mother.

"Thank you so much. It's nice to meet you, Mrs. Khan." Lucas politely thanked the woman, and she grinned at him warmly.

"Please, call me Jeanette. It's a pleasure to have you." Jeanette assured, retreating up the stairs.

"Your mum is so nice." Lucas complimented, and he meant it; Jeanette really was a lovely lady. She was no doubt the reason behind Nate's bubbly personality.

Jayce shifted his attention to Lucas and shrugged. "That makes one of them."

Lucas cocked his head to the side with his right eyebrow raised.

"What do you—"

Lucas was cut off when his phone started ringing in his pocket. He blinked as Leon's name took over his screen, answering the call.

"Hello?"

"Hey, are you okay?" Leon asked, letting out a deep breath, his voice groggy and hoarse; it made Lucas frown.

"Yeah, are you? You sound tired." He responded, and Lucas heard his older brother huff from the other end of the line.

"I'm good, just heading home," Leon told him. Lucas looked at the clock in Nate's lobby, noticing that it's been a while since Leon's last call. "Do you think you can spend the night at Nate's? I'll have to babysit Eli 'cause Ma's working 'till late and Dad..."

Lucas frowned at the mention of his father. "Will you two be okay alone at home with him?"

Leon paused for a brief moment. "I won't let him touch Eli, just, can you ask to stay the night?"

Lucas turned to Nate, who'd over heard the conversation and signalled Jayce over, motioning for him to duck to his height and whispering into his ear.

Jayce nodded, receiving a smile from Nate. Nate threw his thumbs up at his friend.

"Lucas?"

"Yeah. They said yes." Lucas responded, and he swore he heard a sigh of relief from Leon's line.

"Good. Okay, yeah. I'll see you tomorrow?"

Lucas turned to Nate, who had already been looking at him, with a grin.

"Yeah. Later, loser."

                            ***

the bromance between nate and lucas (get rid off the b) ;D