Maybe One Day, We'll Finally Find You

Start from the beginning

Nie Huaisang could be a sassy little demon spawn and break you down with words alone if you get him too angry. He can also be completely uncooperative. He's a mini early-era overly intelligent Xie Lian.

Nie Mingjue has the second worst temper in the house, tied only with Mu Qing and occasionally Feng Xin himself. It's never his fault, as it's the issue with his cultivation. Something they're all trying to fix and allow him to practice safely without harming himself.

There are way more problems than that, but it's to be expected. No family is perfect as he is learning, but he thinks they're lovely as flawed as they are.

Now imagine his absolute joy when he was sent out in a horrendous thunder and lightning storm away from his family, where there were hugs, people who loved him, no lightning, rain, and thunder, warm clothes, and cozy drinks.

Yeah, he was fucking thrilled. The mission was boring as fuck, too. Simple creatures to cleanse, then some not-so-simple ones.

He understood why he was sent to handle this, but that didn't mean he had to like it. Searching for anymore, he missed; he saw a group go by some ways away from him.

Sensing something off, he turned into Nan Feng and tried to stay with them. 'Who the fuck has kids out in such dangerous weather?'

Lan Zhan was less than thrilled at being out in such horrid weather but was forced to be by his father and uncle. He'd much rather be looking for Wei Wuxian, Nie Huaisang, and Nie Mingjue.

He and his brother were the only two that believed they were still alive. None of their bodies were found to confirm a kill. He desperately held out hope that he'd find them.

Something, though he has no clue what must've shown on his face as his brother grabbed his hand. "Don't worry, we'll find them. Wei Ying is too clever to die, and the Nie brothers are too stubborn, all of them too smart. I know they're okay."

Lan Zhan squeezed his hand in lieu of a reply. He knows his brother misses Nie Mingjue. The two were platonic partners, after all. And he adored the younger boys, too, so inside, his brother is probably frantic.

However, Lan Zhan's main issue is that he's had a bad feeling since they left. Something was off, and from the way his father looked at him, he knew he was involved somehow.

His brother swiftly yanked him out of the way of something. "AMBUSH!" Several men came from the shadows and shot at the brothers. They were weird-looking arrows.

Wen Clan.

Lan Zhan and Lan Xichen defended themselves the best that they could but were quickly overwhelmed. Both were captured while his father went to the leader. "As promised."

He did do this. It was clear Lan Quiren didn't know about this but did nothing to intervene, despite both children pleading with him.

They were beaten into submission by their attackers, and neither of their "family members" did anything to help. They were taken, but that didn't mean they complied.

Lan Xichen learned a thing or two from his time with Mingjue. Slipping a blade from his sleeves, he freed them in two swipes before taking off with his little brother.

"AFTER THEM!"

They ran and ran. Getting cut up by branches, hail, and arrows. Even nearly struck by lightning.

Lan Xichen even took an arrow for Lan Zhan. He broke the majority of it off but never pulled it out since he'd bleed out.

They saw more than heard a small group of them catching up. 'NO NO NO NO!!!!!!!!' Suddenly the group got ensnared in an overly complicated web of rope.