Chapter 16: Love letter

Start from the beginning

-February 14th?
-Yeah!
-And?
-You're serious!? That's Valentine's day. This year, I'll finally have more love letters in my locker than Craig. I'm finally going to beat you this year, get ready.

He ran off, leaving Craig and me with questioning glances. We began walking side by side again.

-I didn't know that tomorrow was already Valentine's Day.
-It's just a stupid day. By the way, ignore Clyde, he started this challenge himself a few years ago, he's desperate to get more love letters than me. But every year he loses.
-I had no idea you were so popular.

I said, looking away. He gave me a smirk, keeping his hands in his pockets.

I've never got a love letter on Valentine's Day. That was true, there was a part of me that always wanted to know what it felt like to find your locker full of letters, some from people you didn't even know. To know that you were so special and that you meant so much to these people. It must be a nice feeling.

We continued walking down the corridors until we came across Stan and Kyle strangely close to each other, playing video games. I thought Stan was dating Wendy, but it's true that I hadn't seen them together for a long time.

Craig pov:

I opened the door of my house and took off my shoes as I walked in. I put my bag down in the living room and greeted my parents in the dining room. My father kept giving me insistent looks, as if he was waiting for the right moment to start blaming me for everything.

-What?
-I spoke with Mr. Tweak today. Did you stay with them last night?

Oh, damn it, I'd completely forgot to tell them. I understood why he was giving me those looks.

-Yeah, sorry, I totally forgot to tell you.
-It's all right, Craig, but we'd rather know if you're ok. You didn't answer any messages
-I thought I told you to stop hanging out with him.

I frowned, not taking my eyes off him.

-Well, now that he's my boyfriend, it'll be complicate-

I stopped talking when I heard my father's spoon drop straight into his plate, making a noise that echoed throughout the room. My mother covered her mouth with one hand while her eyes widened into an expression of shock. My father put his fingers between his eyes, frowning and sighing.

-He's your...

His hand ran down his face as my mother and I stood in silence waiting for his answer.

-Whatever, date him. It's none of my business.

My eyes widened at what he said. My mother looked as surprised as I was.

-Thomas? Are you...?
-I'm giving up. I just...can't resonate him. It's true that I wanted a normal child, but I don't want his happiness to take second place to my demands...

My father's voice grew weaker and weaker as the water pooled in his eyes. He placed his hand in front of his eyes, his elbow on the table, to hide his tears and wipe his eyes. My mother approached him and wrapped her arms around him in an embrace.

A sort of regret suddenly settled over me. I'd never seen my father cry like that. Was it that painful for him? I didn't want him to feel so bad because of me. Maybe I should have tried to understand how he felt instead of provoking him like I did. That feeling. Guilt? Regret?

He got up and walked up the stairs, watched by my mother and me. I turned back to my mother, who was wiping a small tear from her eye. She smiled at me as best she could.

-Sorry, Craig. I'm really happy for you.

I smiled weakly and turned my head to the floor. I still wasn't sure if I correctly heard my dad. It was like being freed from a weight that had been weighing on me for a long time. Even if he didn't completely accept it, I could feel a change taking place.

With a heavy step, I made my way to my room and laid down on my bed with a sigh.

I spent a good portion of the night awake, thinking about my conversation with my father. My mind was constantly racing. Did it mean he'd finally accepted Tweek now? Everything was so blurry and unclear in my head.

Tweek pov:

The next day, I headed to school with Craig. We arrived at the school and spotted from a distance some people jumping for joy and others completely devastated.

-Maybe people take Valentine's Day a little too seriously.
-That's for sure. And in a few seconds Clyde will come begging me to open my locker to look how many letters I got.

Maybe I should have planned something for Craig. But it's true that I was completely discouraged after hearing him say that this day was stupid. I didn't want to make him feel uncomfortable.

-Craig!...CRAIG!

We heard shouting coming closer and were not surprised to see Clyde running towards us with his backpack full of letters. He seemed so excited, without even knowing it it brought a smile to my face.

-This year you can't beat me. 22 in total. I dare you to do more. Come on open. Open. Open.

Craig put his hand on his locker and opened it under Clyde's hurried gaze. I admit, I was also a little curious. We were all staring at the locker when Craig finally opened it.

-One, two, three, four,...
-Wow you can count over three, I'm surprised.

Clyde started to count the letters while I gave Craig what I thought were discreet glances. I saw Clyde's eyes widen as he finally finished counting.

-19. Looks like I beat you this year, Craig.

Craig looked expressionlessly straight into his eyes.

-Did you pay girls to write you letters?
-How...!?... Uh, I mean, no I wouldn't dare.

Craig looked at him with a bored expression.

-You know you could have written them yourself?
-That's not the same.
-So you admit that you paid girls to write you letters?
-Uh, crap!

Clyde took off running towards the classroom and Craig followed, walking and sighing as usual. I headed for my locker to get my notebooks. I opened it and saw a white letter taped shut. My eyebrows furrowed at the thought that this was surely a joke. I opened it and began to read in my head what was written on it.

"Dear Tweek,

I know we haven't always talked, but this Valentine's day, I have to tell you how I fell for your soft smile and sparkling eyes. The way you make me feel every time I see you is unforgettable, and I hope you feel the same way about me. Meet me behind the infirmary building after class.

This Valentine's day, let me be yours.
- An anonymous admirer"

My cheeks turned red immediately after reading the letter. It was a joke or a trap? It wasn't possible.

The bell rang, signifying the start of classes. I quickly stowed the letter in the front pocket of my backpack and headed for my classroom. Despite my confusion, my smile wouldn't fade as I thought about who might have written that letter.

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°